View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Dealing with different economic situations 
All-star
All-star

The video we watched in class about social class obviously had people from all economic statuses. Some of us could relate really well with one person that someone else in the class could not relate to at all. As teachers, we will also have students in our classrooms that come from different economic situations.

My question is how do you think you will deal with having students in your classroom from an economic situation that you cannot relate to or that is unfamiliar to you? Do you think that you will give them more attention, less attention, or try to keep things equal?

For me, I would definitely try to keep things equal, but I fear that I will spend more time with students from a lower income family that may not get the assistance they need at home. What do you guys think?

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When sitting here thinking about this question I don't know how to answer it. I think it is going to have to be one of those things that we are going to have to be in the situation. When I look at most of the schools I went to k-12 for the most part they were kind of divided up by income level even if they were not meant to be. I really think it is going to be based on what the school environment we are in. I think a big label someone can give teachers is compassionate. I think that will really play a part in how I deal with different economic statuses in my classroom. Like you Kim I fear that I am going to concentrate on those from low income families because I know that they don't necessarily get the extra help outside of the classroom.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:48 pm
All-star
All-star

This is a great question that I have had to think about for a while but when it comes down to it I think that any teacher can relate to any kid with any type of econmic status as long as they learn about the kids background. I think that it is very important for the teacher to get involoved in their after school life and have a relationship with the parents. This will allow the teacher to understand and know about their children even if they are not familir with their econmic background. ALl of this together will allow the teacher to have respect and relate to the children's life as well as their soci-econmic background. Relationships are key!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:51 am
All-star
All-star

I'm worried I'm going to be in the same boat as Dr. Turner when she mentioned in class that she had a real problem teaching one student who was from a very privileged background because he felt entitled to everything. That sense of entitlement is something that really gets under my skin fast. I'm probably going to have to give myself a mental pep talk/warning every morning before I walk into that classroom when I have students like that in order to remain fair and unbiased. I saw students at my high school that got to retake tests or even final exams because their parents were big donaters to the school, and the administration basically bullied teachers into making exceptions for those students. I want everyone to be and intend to make everyone on an equal playing field, at least for the couple of months that they're in my classroom.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Oh my god, I'm totally shocked/offended that the rich kids at Natalie's school got to retake tests! What kind of elitist crap is that?! But what makes me the most mad is that the other students had to see it happen, completely lowering their self esteem - how can they be motivated to go on in their schooling when there is no way that the could compete with that?

My concern about my own response to different backgrounds is that I want to be one of those teachers that the students can come and talk to if something is on their mind... but I think that the only way that I can stay fully committed to the equal treatment of all students is if I am oblivious to their situation in life, because let's face it, some people just don't have the resources to get as far as others, even though their drive and respectability might be greater. But I agree with Alicia that we'll never know how we'll rally react in that situation, and unfortunately, the outcome may not be as honorable as we might hope -- has any one seen "Crash"? That is one movie that will make you really think about whatever prejudices you might unconsciously harbor towards people of a different background.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]