View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Hiring Freeze on Teachers 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was home this weekend and was talking to my dad, who is a teacher, and he was telling me how Charlotte Meck Schools placed a hiring freeze on teachers and are going to lay off some teachers because of the economy. I am sure this isn't just happening there. I was wondering what everyone thought of this and how does this hinder younger generations? Can the government state and federal really let this happen?

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

no its definitely not just happening in Charlotte. Its happening all over North Carolina. My sister just graduated from UNC-Charlotte with a degree in Elementary Education. She is very qualified, and many schools have told her they want to hire her, but they just can't because the money isn't there. At all. I think within the next year or two it will pan out, because obviously they have to have teachers and replace the ones that leave. This is when that whole "take whatever job you can find" thing comes into play. We probably won't be able to be picky when being hired. We could possibly have to take a school we don't really want or a grade we don't feel as comfortable with.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Megan that this could mean we would not be able to choose which grade level we teach. This makes me really nervous because I am more comfortable teaching lower grades rather than say 3-5. The job freeze hinders us because we have worked so hard while in college, are definitely qualified and might not get to teach where we would be happy because we have to "take what we can get" which might lead to dropping out of the teaching profession in general.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:56 pm
All-star
All-star

This is an issue that is happening at my mom's school right now also! They are not neccesarily laying teachers off but when one retires they are having teachers that are already at the school take over that position because they dont have the moey to pay to hire someone. I think this is horrible and our generation of teachers will probably have trouble finding a job right out of college. Teachers are something that can not be slimmed down on just because the economy is bad. I wish that people would view education more highly because everyone needs it and the world would not go round without it.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:53 am
All-star
All-star

This isn't just affecting elementary/middle/high schools either. App has a couple of freezes on new staff that I've heard about. My roommate mentioned earlier that the Chemistry department is running out of professors for the number of students in the program, but there's no money to hire new ones. So obviously you can see where this freeze on new teachers is going to make class size a lot bigger in schools, and I'm definitely not a fan of that, especially for younger kids. I just think it's nearly impossible for a teacher to give the kind of attention needed to each kid when he or she is responsible for thirty-five students or something. I'm pretty worried about the fact that so many schools aren't hiring new teachers. I kind of wonder why not, too. I get that we're in an economic crisis. But at the same time, people list education as a top priority and talk about how it needs to be reformed. Well...an entire new generation of teachers out of college could possibly be the answer if someone would give them a break.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:04 pm
All-star
All-star

The hiring freeze that is in place in many schools is definitely something that has me worried. Everyone always says that teachers never have a hard time finding a job because they always need teachers, but this is obviously not the case. It does worry me that I may have to accept a job at a school that I may not have originally wanted to teach at just because it is the only available job. Also, I am definitely more comfortable teaching K-2 but might have to take an upper grade if it is all that is available.

I think that education should be a top priority and that it is ridiculous that teachers are being cut or new ones are not being hired. This just means that the overall quality of education begins to go down because class sizes increase. There is no way a teacher can teach 35 students as well as they could teach a class of 20. I understand that the economy is bad, but I do not think that lowering the quality of our education system is going to make the economy any better in the future.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with everything that has been said so far. This hiring freeze also worries me because we all have worked so far to get where we are and now we might not even get hired the first year or may have to take a grade level that we don't exactly want. I also think it is ridiculous that teachers are needed everywhere and now the economy is so bad they are being cut and new ones aren't being hired.

Hopefully this will get better by the time we are going out into the work force but if not we will have to take what we get.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is really scary, especially when you think about not only how it's effecting us as teachers (by not getting hired) but for the students. Someone said earlier in this post about our chemistry dept. not being able to hire needed teachers, and that hurts us as students. I think that in a perfect world, despite economy problems, we would somehow find enough money to properly educate our students. I don't know where the money would come from, but I feel that schools should be financially supported enough to be able to have enough teachers for the amount of students, considering the population growth. It's particularly tough to think about this topic as a future music educator. Funds are getting cut for all of the Arts, and even though I know that, I still just want to teach kids music.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what every one has said so far. This is really scary because we have gone to school for 4 years and now we may not be guaranteed a job. I don't understand even though the economy is not doing so well....why should we have to limit or cut our education. It seems that no matter what teachers should always be on a high demand because if there is any way we can better our education and economy we should.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:19 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with a lot of what everyone has said. I'm from Charlotte and hear about teaching all of the time. A lady at my church actually oversees Appalachian Education majors into Charlotte Meck schools and she said lately it is very hard to even find school to place students in for student teaching. Many students are not able to get their first choices and this had me wondering what it would be like next spring when I go home to be placed. Ideally I'd like to teach where I am placed if I fall in love with that school and I am hoping the economy will slowly perk back up because there is always a need for teachers. Instead of letting people go I have heard of all teachers pulling together and taking a 10% pay decrease just so everyone can stay. It is definitely a matter worth thinking about since this will directly influence us.

Casey Gill

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's disheartening to know that there may not be a job out there for me as an Art Educator when I finish with my undergrad. I suppose it's during times like our current economic crisis that stress the importance of connections and networking. I'm afraid that without the right connections, I won't be able to find a job in the teaching field, whether it be full-time or part-time.

Kim made a great point when she talked about how the hiring freeze will potentially increase the average class size. School's should put the education of their children first, and by not hiring more teachers, class sizes will increase which is not going to help our students or our teachers perform to the best of their abilities. I understand that the money just isn't there in many cases, but something needs to be done. Maybe teachers or administrators could call for assistance in the classroom from members of the PTA, other staff and faculty, or the greater community (much like during end-of-year testing when they bring in monitors.)

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Its amazing to think that people out their think that education should be the first place to cut jobs or resources to save money during these hard times. I believe people of this country should realize that education is going to be what brings us out of this rut and they should realize that it is the foundation of this country. It is hard to believe that I may not have a job when I graduate and I could still be working at Lowes Foods, not that I hate my job there, but it is not what I went to school for. Hopefully something will turn around soon.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I think this problem is just plain shocking. If high officials or people on the State Board are cracking down on rules, regulations, and how teachers teach things and what has to be accomplished by a certain date, I find it shocking that they are putting a freeze on hiring new teachers to help test scores and education in general to improve. I also agree with the other people in saying that I would definitely prefer to teach k-2 rather than 3-5, but as things are looking, it will be a "take what you can get" deal. I do think that the the population of people pursuing teaching jobs will decrease. I personally know at least three people who graduated a year or two ago and were not able to find jobs!! So, it makes me super nervous to think about when I graduate and not finding a job...so what will I do then?

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It really doesn't surprise me that this is happening. Every time cuts need to be made education is always at the front of the line. It is kind of ironic since a great education system is a cure for any sort of national crisis. I guess since the effects and "payoffs" of education aren't immediately quantifiable that most governments cut from education but leave other things like road construction alone.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The entire state of NC is on a hiring freeze. This is not only affecting those graduating and currently working in the education field. I myself may not get my summer job back as a daycare worker due to this freeze even though i am still an active employee. If this hiring freeze is not lifted soon it may affect many of us getting jobs over the next few years. I think that this hiring freeze is a little over the top to save money.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]