View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 personal feelings about grouping by class 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

From the discussion today:

based on the way that teachers acted towards your class in highschool or/and middle school, what group do you think your teacher(s) categorized you in. Based on the average demographics in that grouping, were they right? Do you feel like you were shafted on your education because of their generalization.

I don't necessarily feel like I was treated out side of my social demographic, but I would like to hear some other opinions for my future reference.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that grouping for classroom instances is good! I had nothing but positive experience with it and was able to learn alot because of the environments i was put in. Yes many of my classes were group with kids of my same soci-econmic class, but there were a good hand full that were not! I feel that grouping but ability is to focused on being "left out" when people can work hard and be in whatever group they wish to be in.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:50 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would say that for me I feel like I lived in a bubble in High School. I got away with many things in High School. I could roam the halls and not be questioned. I am from a single parent household making less than 30,000 a year and I would say that I was greatly treated differently than I should have for my socio-economic status. I would say as for tracking and treatment I was right on track. I was in honors classes and always made good grades. I think a lot of my special treatment was because my step-mom was the principal's secretary(later the Personal director for the county school system), the athletic coach went to church with me, and one of my teachers was one of the boys that my mom babysat in high school. I think a lot of my treatment was because of who I knew. So I have to say my social class really did not affect my treatment in high school personally that I noticed.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would assume my teachers categorized me as a middle class student, and I would've generally agreed if I had come from a double-parent household. Unfortunately, I came from a single-parent household, as one of three children, where my mother worked 7am-7pm five days a week. So there wasn't time for her to always shop for needed supplies, or talk with my teachers.

I don't feel like my teacher's insight into my social class standing had a negative effect on my education. In fact, as a younger child many of my teachers understood my mother's struggle as a single parent (after speaking with her), and each teacher did all they could so that I wasn't greatly affected by her absence. Teachers would sometimes bring needed supplies, help me with homework, or give me a snack to make it through the day after lunch.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think I was in the middle class catagory. Our high school wasn't very diverse, and I think most of us were grouped in that. Again, I was in a lot of different classes, honors math, but regular science, and then I was in band all of the rest of the time. One of my science teachers asked why I wasn't in a higher level of his science, and I've never really thought about it. I think he, like some other teachers, tended to think that students not in the honors classes couldn't/didn't work hard or do well on tests, and I did. He was a great teacher and really pushed the class, even though it wasn't honors, to do their best at what they did.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I can honestly say that all of the teachers treated everyone equally. Social class was not an issue at my school and teachers definitely did not judge us based on that. We had regular classes, honor classes, and AP classes but no one was looked down upon for which class they chose. Everyone took all of the same classes but each individual was able to choose the level of difficulty. As a result, I have never faced this problem because all of the students were treated equally and fair.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I definitely feel that I was grouped into the middle or upper class in my school. I personally do not feel that I received a lesser education because of this but I can see how others in my school might have felt that they were. The people in AP and honors classes tended to be the people with more money in their families and it was very evident in the school. Cliques were also formed on this same basis and for the few that didn't follow this norm, I think it was even more challenging.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]