View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Why are there "tracks"? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In class, we talked about how students are treated differently depending on which track they are on. I wanted to know why we even have tracks. To me, a ninth grader is not responsible enough to make decisions that could make or break the rest of their life. If students are put in a low track, then all through high school they know that not much is expected of them. If there was not difference, then maybe students would perform at more even levels. Do you think that not having tracks could make a difference in... School misconduct? the number of students going to college? overall student performance?

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:15 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is important to have tracks because it does help you stay focused on what classes you need to take in high school. But even though we have tracks doesn't mean students should be excluded. I think all students should have the same fair chance. Maybe they don't know what they want to do, or even if they want to go to college...but they should still be given the chance and they shouldn't be separated out into lower classes just because they haven't decided. I think classes with students in them that were not on the college bound track definitely had a high mis behavior rate. I think the school could try and eliminate this by putting the students in in higher level classes to challenge their knowledge and help them see what they could become. It clearly isn't working by just putting them all in one class.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:26 am
All-star
All-star

I think tracks are a good idea if they are handled correctly. It allows students to be pushed in the right direction and to have goals set and maintained. However, teachers should not treat students differently based on what track they happen to be on. Some students don't believe they could get into college so they don't see that as an option. These students shouldn't be treated differently they should be shown options and treated as if they were college or higher education bound. Tracks shouldn't necessarily be split up either in classes. Those bound for college and those who are not should be intertwined so they can bounce ideas off each other and see that they are really all just as capable as the next.

Casey Gill

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

At my high school you did not choose your track, the classes you selected your ninth grade year based how you were placed. The students had the option to changes tracks if they wished to do so, but it was a little difficult. I know it was harder to change from a college 4-year track to a lower one than it was to move up to a higher track. The counselors at my school just wanted the best for all students, so they tried to lead everyone to move up a track or continue on the one they selected successfully. I think having tracks is a good idea so if someone wants to go to college they will have completed all the necessary classes for college, or for the pathway they picked they will have completed the necessary courses for the type of field they will be going into after high school.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Tracks in my high school were not what you chose. When you picked your first classes your freshman year, it was up to you to excel in them or fail them. Tracks were not even introduced until Sophomore year, and by then the kids knew what classes they could handle and which ones they couldn't. They were never used to demean the students or make them think that they could not take classes that were outside of that track. If you wanted to take an AP course and you had never taken one before, no one said boo. If you had taken all Honors and AP courses and wanted to take a general science or something that wasn't discouraged either. It was really up to the student and their abilities to decide what track they would follow.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:19 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that tracks can be a good thing if they are used correctly. They can definitely keep students motivated and help make sure that they are taking the right courses for what they intend to do later. If you are on the college track, the guidance counselors make sure that you are placed in the right courses for you to get into the college of your choice. If you are on a career track, they make sure that you take all the necessary classes. I think that they are effective in that they make it possible for the guidance counselors to put each student in the courses they should be taking for what they want to do.

However, I think that tracks can be a negative thing if it means that teachers are treating the students on different tracks differently. Just because a student is on the college track does not mean that they should be treated any better than the students on the career track. The tracks should simply be there so that all students can easily achieve their goals.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:04 pm
All-star
All-star

I personally think that tracks are really good! I know that in some ways they create barriors between students that make them feel that they are in the "dummber" track or "smarter" track but if everyone could get over this part and focus on that fact that it prepares you for the future that one wants then they are great!
We had tracks at our highschool and it is really good to have becuase there are some kids that know they do not want to go and college and just want to get out and be a mechanic. This is where the trakcs come into play. Why should this child not take classes that will prepare him/her for this? Tracks are a great thing in my mind and I think that they should be taken a step further and all county's should provide trade schools.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:54 am
All-star
All-star

I personally think that tracks are really good! I know that in some ways they create barriors between students that make them feel that they are in the "dummber" track or "smarter" track but if everyone could get over this part and focus on that fact that it prepares you for the future that one wants then they are great!
We had tracks at our highschool and it is really good to have becuase there are some kids that know they do not want to go and college and just want to get out and be a mechanic. This is where the trakcs come into play. Why should this child not take classes that will prepare him/her for this? Tracks are a great thing in my mind and I think that they should be taken a step further and all county's should provide trade schools.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:54 am
All-star
All-star

At my high school, like Heather's, the student's didn't really get to choose which track they wanted to be in and if you decided you wanted to change it then it was really hard. I don't understand why all students are not pushed to consider college. What about the students who get to their senior year of high school and want to go to college but can't because they don't have all the credit hours for it? I think that track's can be a good idea for students who get to choose where they want to be, but at the same time, I think that all students should be required to take the classes that will give them an open option of college when it comes down to it.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:12 am
All-star
All-star

I don't think I'm a fan of tracks. I agree with Katelyn/the original poster. I feel like asking a fourteen year old kid what he or she plans to do with his/her life in five or ten years is a little much. I remember asking my counselor that question when I started high school. I was overwhelmed at the idea of picking a future for myself on my first day of high school. Anyways, I think tracks function mainly as labels and labels usually aren't a good thing. All they do is separate people. If you label a kid as part of a certain track, he or she is probably going to feel stuck there. Everyone tells them that's where he/she belongs, so they'll probably believe it. I think tracks can trap students. A lot can happen between freshman year and junior or senior year.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am with Katie Gray that I like the idea of tracks. In my high school I know we were on the tracks system, but I don't think people held it against each other if we were on different tracks. I think having these tracks in place like someone else said is helpful in keeping people on track. What would high school be like if it was a free for all? To go against tracks I think students should be given the option to change their mind, I know we have four years to graduate from high school for the most part, but I think they can find a way to accomplish tracking and give students a way to change their mind without getting behind. I agee with Natalie it would be interesting to talk to freshman in high school and see how they feel about this situation.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really do think that this is an interesting situation that would be even more interesting if presented to high school freshmen. I have to say that I did like having tracks because I am and organized person and this was one way I would ensure that I did or had the classes that I needed to get into college. I agree with Alicia in that even though we had tracks I really don't feel like anyone really held that against anyone else. I feel personally tracks were helpful. I do wonder what high school would be like without the tracks?pathways. I think it all depends on individual people, but as for me I like the track/pathway system for many reasons most of all because it was a way for me to stay organized.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]