View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 What track were you? Would you change it if you could? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In high school I was college prep because my parents wanted me to go to college and said they would help pay for it... Im grateful for the opportunity but sometimes I feel like I pay for more than I am getting out of my classes. If you had the option to take a different track would you? And, for the students in this class that faught to be here... do you find it worth it? When you are working for every penny and trying your best to stay afloat... do you still find it worth the effort?

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:40 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was also on the College Prep track. I wouldn't have changed my track in high school, but I definitely feel like I should've taken some Tech Prep classes to gain more skills.

It would be great if our educational system could integrate occupational education with academic instruction for all students, and not just those on the "Tech Prep" track.

In general I'm completely sound with the path I've chosen.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In high school I was on the College 4 Year Prep I guess they called it. In school I knew I was on a track, but the only time it really came up or thought about it was when I went to pick classes for the next year. I think I knew I was always going to go to college so it didn't hinder me to be on this track. Like Jon, I am completely happy in the choice I made.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I was in the College Prep track. I am happy that I was in that track because I was able to take 2 college classes that transferred to app and I was able to take AP Calculus which also transferred. At my school it was honestly not a big deal which track you were in. If a student was in the "tech prep" track, teachers did not look down upon them or act as if they were stupid.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:09 pm
All-star
All-star

I was on the College Prep track as well throughout school. I would say that I am happy with the choice that I made, but I don't ever really remember making that choice. It was always just sort of assumed that I would be going to college after I finished high school. Once it came time to pick my track I basically already knew which one I was going to be on. Overall, I am happy with this decision because it has given me a lot of opportunities I would not have had otherwise.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:19 pm
All-star
All-star

I was also on the College/University Prep track. I am happy with the choice that I made, but at the same time I feel like I spent so much time studying and doing extra projects that had no benefits other than keeping me busy. I wish that I did get to choose more of my classes instead of being enrolled in what was "best" for me. I feel like I did miss out on some interesting classes that I could have taken in high school. I am still glad that I made the decision to be on the college pathway but I wish that it could have been a little less structured.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:02 am

I was college prep and the only bad thing about that was, my high school was one schools with the lowest tests scores in the county, so the guidance department wouldn't let the kids on the college prep track take vocational classes that didn't have a state test, because they needed them to take those tests and score well. I wouldn't change my track, but Guilford County had an incentive program that allowed student who took two levels of two vocational course and passed the state tests, two free years at the Community College.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Not to sound like a broken record, but I too was in the College Prep track. The funny thing was that at no time do I ever remember actually choosing that. For my electives I down right refused to take extra academic courses, besides some science and Spanish, and instead I finished one of the "career pathways." I had several teachers that asked me why I was wasting time in classes like criminal justice, agriscience and every single one of marketing classes. Honestly, it was most laziness as to why I started taking the "easy" vocational classes, but looking back on them I learned just as much from them as any science class and I've used that content more than anything from my Organic Chem class.

I think that limiting kids with high test scores to academic or fine arts classes is very restrictive and helps to make the different tracks more obvious to students. The tracks as written allow for some freedom in electives, but in my experience and that of a few others it seems that school officials restrict that choice.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was on the university/college prep track in high school. I would agree with Alicia Y. in that the only time this ever really came up was when I was signing up for classes for each year. I decided what I wanted to do for the rest of my life when I was in the fifth grade and at that point I also decided I was going to go to Appalachian State University for the Elementary education program and degree. So therefore I set my mind early to a goal and followed through with it. I know I wouldn't change my track in high school if I could and I am happy with my choices so far.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]