View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Groton 
All-star
All-star

There were some interesting things about the Prep school, Groton, documentary that we were watching in class on Tuesday. I thought that one of the guy's comments about him doing whatever it took to get to the top for him to have his nice house and BMW was interesting. I will say that it did not shock me because like we were saying in class that is probably how he was raised in that society, and his cultural capital.

We also talked about how Jo Vega's values, beliefs, and experiences were different than all the other students at the school. I thought it was especially sad when she mentioned how when she was at school the other students saw her as a person of color and did not fit in, and then when she went home she was see as a white girl, where she did not fit in either. I was wondering what everyone else thought?

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I thought the video was pretty interesting. It also wasn't that shocking to me what some of the kids were saying, seeing as they are in high school and don't often realize the work it takes to get to the futures that they were talking about. It seemed like they all saw in their parents a dream life and acted like it would just be handed to them when they graduated. I always wonder when watching videos like this, where the kids are now and what their lives are like. I think the video indicates how its easier for the upper class to stay upper class and the lower class to stay lower class. When you're expected to be on top and pushed to be on top and then handed a way to be on top, it's pretty likely that you're going to be on top in the end.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that alot of people probably look down upon the "rich kids" but I actually give them credit for being ambitious. I know alot of my friends that are in college that still do not know what they want to do. At least these kids know what they want and they are going to go after it! I do think that Jo Vega's values and beliefs are being overlooked because not alot of people will even listen to what she has to say. However, I think the listening issue goes both ways! I think that neither of the groups are listening to what the other has to say, and thus, are not getting anywhere with compromising and seeing the others point of view. I think that it is very important for all people to listen to others even if they might not agree on what they have to say.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to agree with Leslie here because in some ways what those kids were saying shocked me but in other ways it didn't. And I was also shocked when Ms. Turner said that while she was at Stanford they would sabotage each other's work in order to get ahead. I guess I'm living in la la land hoping that we can all get along. Here at Appalachian we work to help each other succeed and we are encouraged to help others in their education. I would guess the students there weren't encouraged to sabotage each others work but they probably weren't prosecuted either. Are these the people that are supposedly the best and the brightest? Since watching this video it makes me more depressed that our country is run by a bunch of selfish people who only care about getting ahead themselves and are not concerned about other people's welfare. As Leslie said in her post "the video indicates how its easier for the upper class to stay upper class and the lower class to stay lower class."

Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have a couple of thoughts about the video and i'm saying some of this at my own risk cause i acknowledge that, especiallyover an internet forum when the way I say things can't be heard, and some of it may offend because. But these are my issues: 1) i'm sorry, but Jo Vega has been handed an incredibly expensive schooling to one of the best prep schools in the country, and I feel like all I heard her say was how much she hated the people, how much she felt singled out, it sucks here, blah blah blah. why couldn't she try commending the facilities, or complementing the staff on their knowledge base and willingness to help. hmmm, first of all, welcome to high school, okay. and second, if you hate the path it is taking you down, then do what's right for you in your eyes and leave! from what i could tell, to her, the bads far outweighed to goods, so logically, that's when you fold and save your energy for a better day. And I hate, hate, Hate to sound insensitive, but I have no simpathy for people who complain about their situation in a comparative heaven versus our - for the most part- highly average high school education. You're getting a free kickstart on life, girly! LOVE IT!
And I guess the second thing isn't that much of an issue so much as a comment. The thing about that guy wanting to reach for the nice house and the fance BMW is that he will probably get it. societal and cultural expectations are a strong force to be reckoned with. Some of ya'll have said that he doesn't reallize what's coming at thim and that he doesn't understand the value of work so he and others may or may not be ready for the world. But with that pressure behind him, it's very likely he will hit the big time. it'll push him right thru the difficualt times, and sure he may lose focus there in the middle like we all do, but eventually the parental, peer, event the pressures of acquantances will be too much for that excessive, if not cliche, dream life to pass him by.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I also thought that the Groton documentary was very interesting and was not terribly shocked by what the prep school students were saying. I agree with pieces of what everyone has said so far. I agree with leslie when she mentions how it is easier for the upper class to remain upper class and the lower class to remain in their current status. I also think that it would be interesting to have a follow up on where these kids are now and what they have achieved, or not, in life. Even though it can sound harsh, I do see what you mean too, Dinah. Joe was very fortunate to have the opportunity to attend this school and it should open doors for her in her future. I am assuming that because she was able to attend Groton for free and do well there, I'm sure that she is receiving a full ride to the college that she chooses to attend. Sometimes being singled out can make a person stronger and more confidant in themselves in the long run. Although the rich kids are almost certain to succeed, our society is beginning to value diversity and many companies would hire a person of color over a similarly qualified white person in order to maintain diversity in the company.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:16 am
All-star
All-star

I feel that the ways in which there students see them selves "having to do whetever to get to the top" is sad. yes i believe that now a days to be successfull that one needs to do everything and stick out as much as possible to receive opportunities but there is a better way to go about it then with that state of mind. I feel that we need to teach a more loving attitudie when it comes to being successful and then maybe it would not be such a "dog-eat-dog" world.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]