View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Jo Vega 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found the video about Jo Vega very interesting and sad. It was like no matter where she was, she did not fit in and was not accepted. I also thought it was sad when she said one of her friends from her home town told her that she was a white girl. She was upset by this because she felt like by going to Groton she was changing and losing her heritage.

I can kinda relate to Jo because I am from a low encome family and I felt very out of place when I first came to App. because everyone around me came from wealthy homes and had nice homes and nice cars. I know it isn't the same as culture but it was still a big deal to me. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever felt like Jo Vega in some way, like you did not fit in or you were changing who you were so you would fit in???

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:14 am
All-star
All-star

I think that everyone has experiences where they don't feel they fit in or feel that they have to change who they are, but sometimes they are not to the same degree as other people's situations. I don't think I've ever felt the same way that Jo Vega did, not being accepted in either world, but I have had my own situations to deal with that were still hurtful for me. When I was younger, my grandmother would always be really hard on me and my sister about how we didn't talk right or how we didn't dress lady like. She is definitely from the upper class and it was hard for both of us for a long time because she saw my dad and his whole side of the family as lower class than herself. It was like she was battling for us to be more like her than for us to be more like them and it was annoying for a long time. Eventually we just stopped caring what she thought. For the most part, I was very resilient and just looked past it all, but I guess in some way, I can relate to Jo Vega not feeling accepted with her family.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:42 am
All-star
All-star

I don't think my situation was ever as extreme at Jo's - and I was still young - but I think I can sort of relate to her. My grandmother is a full blooded Cherokee Indian. So obviously...she and my mom both look like one. When I was in elementary school and even sometimes in middle school, kids would ask me if I lived in a teepee and make those weird "Indian" tribal chant noises with their mouths. They made me feel very Native American, I guess...even though I'm only like a fourth...but I didn't feel that at home. My mom's side of the family is all very dark skinned, dark haired, dark eyed. When I was younger, I had blonde hair and I have blue eyes, so I stuck out like a sore thumb. I felt out of place like Jo, but it's something I figured out. It's definitely harder for her, I think, because she really identifies herself as Puerto Rican (is that what she was?) and I didn't necessarily identify myself as a Native American.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Angela, I also come from a low income family and thought when i came to App that it seemed that every one came from a wealthy background. I felt that i could really relate to Jo Vega and how she felt that she was all alone. But, on the other hand i felt that since she did have the privileged to go to that school that maybe she should try to make friends. She could have made friends but still kept her identity. Just because they liked different things than she did didn't mean that she should change her ways. I did feel sorry for her because it seemed that she was almost not wanting to make friends, or trying not to be included just because she was scared of loosing her identity.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The age Jo was is a tricky one for a transformation such as this because not only is she struggling to fit in both at home and at school, but as a teenager her whole life is about fitting in. While she was going through this experience I'm sure it was highly difficult to find a medium identity, but when she's older I feel that she'll be glad she went through it and exposed herself to such differences.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also had a hard transition from home to college, just because at home everyone new me and my background. Coming to college, there's a chance for a fresh start and it's easy for people to get lost and try to become someone they're not. I think, what made the transition so hard was that I didn't already have a history. I could be anyone I wanted to be and it really forced me to figure out who that was going to be.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:52 am
All-star
All-star

It is very interesting to think about Jo and her experience. I found it really sad that she did not feel welcome at school or at home. At home they thought she was a white girl and at school she was seen as non-white. I feel like everyone tries to find themselves once they go to college and it is just sad that at the school she was at it was all those upper-class students that were not very respectful towards her and her culture.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]