View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Race in the Classroom 
All-star
All-star

Hey Everybody! Since we are moving into Education and Race I thought I'd get a question started about how everyone feels about race in the classroom. Do you think it impacts a students educational outcome? Is there a connection between race and social class? Just some questions to get our minds going!
I personally feel that race and social class can depend where you come from. I know in Charlotte, where I was from, race wasn't necessarily a factor with social class, because many of us were from the same neighborhoods, same backgrounds. Of course there was exceptions, but we didn't walk around school and notice it outright. I do think that race could effect a students educational outcome because some students go home to a different language speaking family, or their parents never went to college, or high school, and sometimes that's because that's what their parents, and their grandparents did. I find this to be a trend among every race based on their background. But I definitely believe any person in any race has the potential.

Casey Gill

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:17 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Do you think race impacts a students educational outcome? In a perfect world, no. In reality, yes but it really depends on the nature of the school and community. We all know that most minority students struggle(against the stereotype) in school. I mean it really just depends there is a big IF with this question.
Is there a connection between race and social class? I believe that there is. I'm not trying to say that minority people can't be part of the upper crust but and I agree with you on that any person in any race has the potential. It's just that are society has flaws and one of the flaws is racism. Even though I do believe it's not near as bad as in earlier history its still there. It's hard for a person to beat down the stereotypes and for a race thats been persecuted for over 200 years to become part of the affluent group.
I am hopeful though that soon these issues will be phased out and that society won't look at someone's skin to decide their education and social outcome. I want to teach to my students that there is only one race, the human race.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]