View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The KKK still active up North? What? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought this might be appropriate since we are talking about race:
So this weekend I was talking with my roommate who is from Illinois. We were watching TV and it had something about the KKK on it. She asked me if I knew if the KKK was still active in the South. I told her that I didn't think it was active in my hometown but I couldn't really say about the rest of the south. She said that in her hometown in Illinois that they were active and still MARCHED downtown one day a year. And I also know of another friend who is from Pennsylvania who told me that the KKK is still very active in her hometown.
So first of all I was really appalled that the KKK was still active and a big thing in both of those cities. My roommate was shocked that the KKK wasn't active here since it's the south and known for being racist against non-whites.
So what are your thoughts on this? Are you shocked that the KKK is still active in NORTHERN cities? (I know I was). And do you think it's fair for people to still call the south racist? Thoughts?

Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I knew that the KKK was protected... well not protected, but that their right to assemble was protected by law so they were allowed to march in cities, but I have never heard of anyone witnessing the marches, especially in today's society. Can you imagine what it would feel like to see that? How could anyone possible channel their rage enough in such a case as to not want to attack each and every one of those guys?

As far as whether or not it's fair to call the south racist, I feel like every day I see something else that represents the south in a bad light. Louisianna elected an American White Nationalist and former Grand Wizard of the Klu Klux Klan in 1991 as a state representative (he was, however, unsuccessful in the other campaigns including Presidential (twice)). And just the other friday I was driving to my work at Macado's and I saw that outside of that little run down building that they are renovating next to the Turchin center, they were flying a very large confederate flag loud and proud right next to the road. I understand that some people fly this flag as a tribute to a heritage, but I also know that the history of that flag makes it representative of a culture that was not only supportive, but built on the backs of and dependent on the disparagement of an entire race. I think that as much as others have to be sensitive of this fact, they also need to be sensitive of that representation and how it might make others feel. For this reason though I don't think it is fair to generalize the south as racist, because like this, some actions could be just a tribute to not the historical aspect, but the heritage.

i can't believe they had them in Illinois, though! seem a little misplaced, doesn't it?

Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it is interesting that people do not associate northern states as being racist. I honestly didn't until I realized that racism is everywhere and just because the north took in slaves during the civil war, does not mean they are still like that. I can remember from when i was younger that the KKK would march up and down our main road in my hometown in their full white outfits. They would also gather around the courthouse and chant at the cars that would be stopped at the stop light. I was absolutely terrified of them because I had watched movies of them burning crosses and hurting black people and I knew they were mean people. I dont know if it is a rumor or not but I have heard that the town next to mine has an active KKK group and that they meet at this old gas station.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:43 am
All-star
All-star

The KKK still being active in the North is not something that has crossed my mind. I watched a History special on the KKK a few weeks ago about how it evolved, how it's intended purpose has changed ect. I can't believe or maybe I just don't want to believe that it would still be active in certain states. That really makes me in a way sad that people are still living this way and they have not chosen to look at the bigger picture of the United States or expand their thoughts. It's a very controversial issue that isn't talked about as much today as it used to but should be brought to people's attention that it it still going on today.

Casey Gill

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:04 am
All-star
All-star

It doesn't surprise me so much...not that the KKK is still actively and definitely not that it is also active up north. Racism is everywhere, and I think people forget that sometimes. Maybe it's nicer/less scary to think of the KKK/that breed of racism as a problem that is contianed in one specific region of the country rather than one that spans across it. I think the North got off pretty easy and most of the racist stereotyping historically fell on the South, but the North was just as guilty of all the hate crimes etc. Even when slaves escaped and ran up North, the Northerners would send them back. They didn't want black people in their cities. Dr. Turner mentioned sevreal other instances of crimes that happened up North. I think the North likes to pretend they were all around good guys in the Civil War and the times immediately before/after, and it has worked because we still see them as tolerant/accepting and the South as awful racists. It's just not that simple though. There are racist Southerners, Northerners, Californians, Mississippians, Europeans, whatever you want, and there are just as many of those people who are not. It's about the individual people, not the area, I think.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:32 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know this might sound a bit rough but the North still holds the smallest number of members to date. The south and almost as strong, the Mid-west are where most of the affiliates are located. My guess would be that they all go up north which is where they would get the most attention (it is still a group that tries to recruit.) One thing most people don't realize is that the KKK is not the same as it was and I think that is a sign of the way things have changed in this country. Most "Klans-members" aren't part of the KKK but rather small sects that can roughly be connected to the KKK. In some places, Neo-Nazies and KKK members have joined together for what they feel are like causes. One other thing the KKK members try to push is not against African-Americans as much as anyone who is not White and is not Christian which counts immigrants of all types and religious groups.
While the KKK still exists, it doesn't have even close to the same power it once had. While people still have strong feelings against them and rightfully so in many cases, I personally believe that there are a small number of people who feel strongly that they are a part of something that means something to them and if we judge them for that, we're no better than the ideals they hold of people "not like them." There are currently less than 6000 known members where's by at its height, there were close to 4,000,000. I guess to sum this all up, most people (including us in this class) have to feel as if they are a part of something. It they want to march and demonstrate what they believe to be right, let them just as long as they keep it at that. We as outsiders to that can look upon them in whatever way we chose just as long as we keep it at that.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]