View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 How Do We Know We Are Male or Female? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know probably no one else wanted to touch this topic with a 10 ft. pole and I need the posts so here goes...What do you think about this question? I'm not asking anyone to sincerely answer this because, for me at least, it's a no-brainer, but what exactly do you think about the necessity of this question? Do we really need to ask ourselves this as part of sexual self-discovery or is it one of those ridiculous philosophical questions like "Am I really real?" Personally I think one might as well ask "Do I breathe oxygen?" as to answer this. Anyway...your thoughts on the question itself please.

By the way I am comfortable with my own [hetero]sexuality, I just don't delve into philosophical jabberwocky. I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy, I live in the real world and have a pretty good hold on my own being and self. I hope you don't find this offensive, just some honesty for my own sake.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely think that it falls into the category of just a philosophical question, one that does not necessarily need to be answered. I'm sure if you wanted to the research could be done to suggest that because your parents knew you were a boy that they gave you blue clothes or played more sports with you, but there are exceptions to that rule. If your parents knew you were a girl, they might have given you dolls and pink stuff whether you liked it or not, but again there are exceptions to that rule as well. It's a question that could have evidence supporting either side, and anyone asking this to a group should be careful of the potential volatility of the question.

To solidify my own position, I am confident in my own hetero-sexuality. Today I was uncomfortable with this topic but not because I could not solidly identify with either side, but because I just do not prefer to really talk about this. You may say that I will have to deal with this eventually, but in my opinion, my classroom will be an equal zone. No one will be allowed to make fun of anyone for any reason, and that is that. Dealing with any kind of sexuality problems that may arise should not be handled solely by me, the teacher. Of course I am not going to shun the student, but I am going to use the administration and the support staff put in place by the school system to help this kid. There are people that went to college and got degrees for this express purpose of counseling students, and they are much more qualified that I would be to deal with this situation.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that it is a philosophical question. I still don't know how I would exactly answer the question. I think its just something I know and like Ben said its like asking if we breathe oxygen. I can see how a person with a gender identity issue, no disrespect just don't know how else to put it, would relate to this question. I think they are better suited to answer a question like this. This is just a question I really don't know how to answer other than saying I know.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Alicia is right. Unless we know how it feels to be conflicted one way or the other, no one (at least in our class) can honestly have a definitive opinion on the topic. I think saying anything -when you are not one who falls somewhere in the middle- can often come out insensitive. The only way I have to justify that my classifying myself as a girl is right is that everything that I identify myself with is very comfortable. I don't feel in flux of whether I like being a girl, i love being a girl. I guess there is no real way of knowing until you are out of your growth period and something doesn't feel wrong.

The one thing I can firmly say about the issue is that I am proud that America is slowly becoming more and more comfortable with the grey area. In case there are any of you who are not MTV fans, the new Real World season had a transgender individual on it. I swear they spent almost half the season talking specifically about it, but it was interesting to hear her side of it. Born Boy, decided at 22 or 23 that she (he at the time) needed to have the procedure done, and did it. Before the operation she had a boyfriend (as a he) and still cared for him afterwards and wanted to stay with him. If you ever get the chance to see the movie "Normal", it's also really interesting. The main character goes through his whole life as a man, gets married, has children who grow up and have kids, and then at 60 or so, decides that he has been living his life on the wrong side of the chromosome and has surgery. He was still the same person as a she (except maybe happier), still in love with his wife and everything. Really interesting insight.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would have to say that this is a Philosophical question and I agree with Alicia I really do not know how to best answer this question. I would say that it is up to individuals as to how they see themselves and if you feel that for some reason you are really the opposite gender it is not my place to try to tell you other wise. This is a problem that is being proposed daily with the whole gay and lesbian issues. I think that it is sort of a silly question like Ben and Alicia have eluded to, but once again I do not feel that it is my place to tell someone who they are. I know who I am and that I am a female, but to go any further than to tell you I know because of my physical appearance/parts I would not really know how best to answer this question.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]