View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 What would you do for Gary? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In the beginning of class we were asked if we would help the principal find ways to remove a homosexual teacher without bringing up sexual preference. We were many options such as telling Gary or staying out of it or helping the principal . I am curious if any of your opinions have changed or stayed the same based on all the discussions we have talked about in class. My opinion has slightly changed. At first I would have gone to Gary and told him about it but now I don't think I would get involved at all. I would avoid the confrontation. As a teacher we know what is right and wrong and if Gary thinks what he is doing is right then he will have to take responsiblity for it. Even if his opinion is different from the principal. So, based on all we've battled and discussed... What would you do for Gary?

Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

At the beginning of the semester I said that I would tell Gary what was going on with the principal. My opinion has not changed. I would still tell Gary because I believe that everyone has a right to stand up for what they believe in and by the principal wanting to get him fired just because of his sexual orientation. Even though I might be taking a risk of getting fired myself, I would feel better about myself because I was standing up for what I believed in.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would still stand up for Gary. I still have the same beliefs and if someone was trying to force me to go against them, then I would tell them that I am my own person and will not get someone fired for a choice that they made in THEIR life. If no harm is being done to the students then why push the issue until it does cause harm by the students losing their teacher. I would not want to be in the environment of a principal that doesn't accept everyone for who they are and their own life choices. I would tell Gary and maybe we would both be looking for new jobs in a different school district that is more accepting.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm willing to stand by what I said earlier in the semester.

I would tell the principal that I would not help them get rid of a perfectly good teacher, and I'd let Gary know that there's something going on behind the scenes.

Beyond those initial moments I'm not sure which stance I would take, but I do know I would try to be as impartial for as long as possible. If Gary did end up getting fired, I would seriously reconsider staying at that school. After all there are other schools that wouldn't actively discriminate against their staff.

And by "actively discriminate" I mean the moment that a person denies another person of their basic human rights and/or publicly insults them.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]