View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 School Schlarships and Unfair 
All-star
All-star

I have an issue that I wanted to ask the class that I encountered over Easter Break. My little brother goes to a private catholic school which is made up primarily up upper middle class children. My little brother has a child in his class who can not afford that school so he is on a scholarship and the school pays for his lunch.
The issue is that since he does not have money his classmates have noticed this because he does not do any of the extra stuff that the class does like their 8th grade class graduation trip and being able to purchase sodas and pizza on fridays. My little brother says that no onw really makes fun of him but that everyone feels sorry for him and treats him differently because of his situation.

I was just wondering if it was fair to a kid like this to even go to an expensive school because even though he is on a schlarship he can not participate in the fun things that his classmates do?

Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Being a substitute teacher, I see some of this in the classrooms. I always know about the field trips that the kids are going on, and I always see which ones cant afford to go. Recently while i was subbing, the 4th and 5th grades went to the Outer Banks. There were 3 kdis that didn't go. One girl didn't have a choice, her mom didn't want her to go. One of the boys just didn't want to go, and the other boy couldn't afford to go.

I feel like no child should NOT be allowed to go on a field trip. If a child wants to go, but doesn't have all the funds, there should be a way to get the funds. When I was in Elem. School we did all kinds of fundraisers in order to help pay for things.

No a days, I don't see schools doing as many fundraisers. I often wonder why that is because those were always a good way to raise money. I know if you do too many of them then people get burnt out on them, but every now and then a fundraiser is a good thing.

Private schools might have different policies about fund raisers, but I still feel like if a kid doesn't have the money but wants to go then there should be a way for the child to go. Or, since they have a scholarship to go to the school, then they should also be given the funds to go on certain field trips. At the same time, I'm wondering how the child is at a private school anyway? You don't hear about a child getting a scholarship to go to a private school at such a young age very often.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that it is fair for a child to go to a school like this on a scholarship if they are given the opportunity. Like Emily said, if the child doesn't have the money to go, there should be a way for the child to go, or the scholarship funds should also cover certain field trips for the kids. Maybe allocating more funds so scholarship students can have equal opportunities should be something that the school considers.
I attended public elementary middle and high schools and students that needed financial assistance were almost always able to attend field trips. Some resources that they used were fundraisers and for large field trips (like weekend trips etc. ) money could be provided by the PTA/PTO program which might also be a possibility at this school but again (like Emily also mentioned) the policies may be different.
It is great that the other students do not treat this student as "inferior" to them but I can understand how they might feel sorry for him.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Emily in that you don't hear of many students getting scholarships to private schools at such a young age. I do think that if they were given the opportunity to go there that it is fair and that they should take advantage of it. It is a shame that some families can't afford field trips and other activities. But, I also agree with the others in saying that there should be some kind of funds to help those students who can't afford the field trips to be able to go.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with everyone's comment on this situation. It is great that this kid has the opportunity to go to a private school on scholarship, because it is very rare that kids at this age are given scholarships. I am surprised that the administration has not done more to try and raise the money for this kid to go on field trips. The soda and pizza thing is not that big of a deal, but the field trip this is. Its a graduation field trip and the kid is going to feel really left out if he cannot go. The school should start a drive to have a field trip fund for kids that need extra money so they won't miss out on these experiences.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:30 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree. It's a great thing that the child has that opportunity to go to a private school. I have never been to one, but I'm sure there are some great pro's about private schools. And if the kid has a scholarship, then he's done something to prove that he should be there. I agree with Kyle, a fund raiser or even donations for children that can't afford the field trip would be a great idea. Just because he/his family doesn't have the money for the field trip doesn't mean he shouldn't be included.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:26 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that I think it is fair for a student to attend a school on a scholarship even if he or she can't do fun things with the rest of the student. We went to Disney when I was in middle school and we held fund raisers such as bake sales and car washes to raise money for the students who couldn't pay for the whole price of the trip. The child is attending the school to get a good education even when they needed extra help in affording it, they aren't necessarily attending the school for the field trips and pricey fun things. I'm sure the student would feel left out when they couldn't go on the trip, but they need to also keep in mind they are lucky in being able to receive a scholarship.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]