View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Gender Issues 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was thinking about the video that we watched today in class and I was wondering what would be the best ways to handle this purposed situation:

You are working in a school as a new teacher. You come to find out that there is a transgender person working in your school either as a teacher or administrative staff. How would you deal with this? Would you be ok with it and it never bother you? Would you wonder who it was and do some investigative work to find out? If you did know who it was would you be supportive and how?

I personally do not know how I would act even around that person. I would think that I would be supportive and understanding. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to what could you do to best handle this situation???

How would you handle this situation if the transgender was a parent of a student in your classroom?

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:14 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that if I have a transgender co worker I will treat them as I would any other co worker. I don't think that I would really deal with it if there was no issue to begin with because I wouldn't want to make this person's lifestyle an issue. Even though I am not completely comfortable with this idea, I do respect other peoples decisions and beliefs. I definitely would not speak negatively about the person or discuss their situation with other faculty members.
I believe that I will be supportive of any transgender faculty/parent/student that I will encounter in my career. I don't feel like a person's gender identity is something that I would actually address unless they wanted to share information about their identity with me.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think i totally missed that video... maybe... so i'm sorry if i repeat something that was already said that day.

I personally feel like treating a transgender person differently from any other coworker or any other parent , or even student, would be like selling out Gary - the gay teacher. I think i you miss treat one person because they are different from you, it's the same as treating that person different because they were black or because they were gay or because they were a woman. When you are a teacher, ultimately our job is to connect with the students to further their education, not to judge others ability to do so based on a biological differenciation. We work with minds, it's what we do. One person does not have more of a capacity for greatness than another based on their sexuality or sexual oritentation. [/code]

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that the likeliness of all of us coming across a transgender either in our school or as a parent is pretty good. After watching that video i realized that it was really hard to tell who exactly was transgender, therefore many of us may never know. I think the best thing to try and do in either of those situations is to act like they are just male or female. Don't treat them any different because they are transgender. I also think it is very important for transgenders to be seen as the gender they have become so treat them as that whether or not you believe in who they are it is important to keep a professional and polite relationship with your parents and surrounding coworkers.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I will always try to treat any transgender man or woman with the same level of respect I treat any other person I come into contact with day-to-day. I think it's natural for most people to to be curious or intrigued and maybe even uneasy around someone who is transgendered, and not know how to approach them or speak about it to them without coming off stand-offish. I wouldn't ever want a transgendered person to feel like I'm judging them though. If I got to know them well enough I'd ask them honest questions to ease any tension and let them know I'm trying my best to understand and relate to them. I know that most GLBT individuals in particular are open-minded enough to answer personal questions if it helps a person become more accepting or tolerant.

I will also always try my best to put my personal opinions or feelings aside within a professional environment, as long as it wasn't interfering with the quality of the work being done.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:54 pm
All-star
All-star

I think, like others, that you have to treat any coworker or parent equally. If there were ever anything that a parent or coworker came up against I would definitely support them.
I also agree though that it is not information that I would try to find out about a person. I would just treat them like any other person unless they came to me about it. Asking someone about whether or not they are transgender is something that is personal to them that has nothing to do with school.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:11 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If I found out that there was a transgender person working with me at a school, I would want to find out who it was. I may be able to tell, or I may ask around and find out.

After I found out, I don't think that it would bother me. Every person has their own beliefs and ideas and there is always some underlying reason why a person does things such as having a sex change.

I would like to think that I would treat them the same way as everyone else, but until I encounter this subject in school, I honestly don't know how I would act. But I think I would try my best to treat them the same because I don't feel like people should be judged because of the way they look, or something such as getting a sex change.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:20 am
All-star
All-star

Whether the person was a coworker or the parent of one of my students I think I would treat them as I would anyone else. Their lifestyle choice is their own decision and truthfully it doesn't effect me very much, if at all. I would be respectful and hopefully it wouldn't be that big of an issue for me.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]