View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Dr. King Ok with GLBT?? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I want to see what everyone thought about the question that Dr. Turner posed about MLK and whether he would be supportive of the gay, lesbian, transgender, and bi-sexuals? What do you think???

I would say that from what I know about MLK that he would be ok and supportive of their rights. I have always been taught that he was an honest man and that he was an activist for those who deserved to be treated fairly. To me this would include the GLBT.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that as a reverend he would personally be against the concept of GLBT, but he would be accepting and believe in their equal rights. He was for tolerance and equality, even though his religious beliefs may have not been accepting of homosexual activities or gender identity abnormalities.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Justin's statement. Dr. King was a minister and I think that his faith was part of his motivation. To me the best part about MLK's philosophy and legacy is that you're not black or white, lesbian or gay...you're a human being equal to all others. So, I think he'd treat people equally and with respect while disagreeing personally.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with the previous posts that say MLK probably wanted equal rights for all people regardless of their race, sexual orientation, gender, and so forth. But due to his religious beliefs he probably didn't agree with their way of life.

Fortunately it's possible to be respectful and accepting of a person without agreeing with their lifestyle.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think MLK was fighting for the black/minority groups because he was a part of that group. All the hate and discrimination that black people felt, he also felt it. I think that since he wasn't gay and because he had a Christian background that he would not have supported the gay community as much as he did for the black community.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]