View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Integrating subjects 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my 5th grade classroom for block 1, I was very shocked at how much reading goes on. These fifth graders spend literally the entire morning, two to three hours, reading individually to themselves. They have math in the afternoon and science only once a week. I was very surprised of how much focus there is on these two subjects. It makes sense in that this is what the students are tested on during EOG's, but I think that this is taking away from the students being well-rounded in all aspects of education. I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on how to integrate various subjects, like social studies, that are not being taught in this classroom.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If they focus a lot on reading, you can always suggest books that are about other subjects. That way, not only can they work on comprehension of what they're reading, but they can be learning about different topics.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my field experience I noticed the same thing at first, but when I really looked at what the students were doing, I realized they were learning the other subjects. Like the previous comment, you can always read about the subjects. Right now, my class is doing EOG prep questions all the time, but most of their readings have been stories about historical events. Also, my teacher tries to tie everything together. The students have read many different versions of the Cinderella story and have filled out charts about each book. The charts have the students look for things such as, the main idea, main characters, turning points, and plots. The students are still learning the material for the EOG but in a different way than just answering typical questions. Also, the Cinderella stories have taught the students about all the different cultures. Another neat thing, was that the students grew two different types of beans. Every couple of days, the students had to report on how their bean was growing by measuring the roots, steam and leaf. This allows students to learn how a seed grows which is science and also practice measurement which is a math concept that will be on their EOG.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a science education major is very upsetting to see science being put on the back burner in the K-8 curriculum. Due to EOG testing subjects like science and to a lesser extent social studies don't receive the full attention like math and reading. Integration is not all that hard because both science and social studies have a lot of books that can fit into the language arts and science has a lot of math that can be integrated.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:42 pm
All-star
All-star

Personally, I think that more subjects should be taught in depth at the elementary level. I understand that they are only tested on math and reading, but that should not be an excuse to not give them a proper, well rounded education. Having students grow up that only know math and reading is not going to get us anywhere. At the very least, they should read about other subjects so that they are not completely unaware of other information out there.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Kim as well in saying that I think that more subjects should be taught in the elementary classrooms. In my block I class they do reading and math for hours on end and MAYBE have time for half hour only of science OR social studies. I think that teachers should make more time for these subjects because students need to be exposed to these subjects as well. If the school that teachers are at require a certain amount of time for reading and math, integrate social studies or science into their reading, or math into science calculations.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]