View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Parents vs. Students 
All-star
All-star

In class the other day, I made the comment that I think sometimes it is the parents that have a problem with a certain situation and not necessarily the students.

For example, when talking about if we would send a permission slip home with students asking their parents permission if they could be in the Laramie Project play. I think some students would be fine with participating and that in some cases it would be their parents that would not allow it.

My question is: Do you think that sometimes it is the parents that have a problem with something that doesn't bother the student? How does this effect these students?

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I would even go so far as to say that it's almost always the parents who have the problem. Most young kids are pretty accepting of things in general. They are taught to discriminate by parents, older siblings, teachers, media, whatever. We aren't born with this inherant idea of what discrimination/prejudice are.

As for how it affects students, I think it causes a lot of unnecessary drama and tension. It can teach them to 'other' their classmates. It can teach them that certain normal things are wrong and that other unappropriate things (like name calling, for example) are acceptable. It's also unfortunate in the event that you have a kid who is homosexual but they adopted their parents' beliefs about homosexuality so they think it is wrong and therefore think poorly of themselves.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really think that it depends. Some students may share the same values as their parents, that's not so outlandish to think. Of course parents are at a more responsible point their lives and they are just trying to do what they think is the best for their kid, but I don't think every situation is like that.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you, i think that many times it is the parents that truly have a problem with something and they make the student stop doing it. I knew many kids like that in school. Their parents were so controlling and didn't let their kids make any of their own decisions in the classroom. I think this is a very difficult issue that teachers have to deal with. You want the child to be happy, but you also want the parent to be satisfied. I think it would be best to ask the parent why they felt so strongly about the issue and then explain to them the reasons for why you are doing it in the classroom. That method was mentioned the other day in class and i think that it would be one of the most effective ways to deal with parent student conflict.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really do think that often it is the parents that have a problem with things that go on in the classroom and outside the classroom that so not always bother the student. A lot of times I would say that the reason for this may be that the student doesn't really understand the situation especially at a younger age. But for those who are older and do not have a problem with a situation that a parent might could be because the parent and student have differing views on the subject or even that the student often times does not care. I believe that parents are a child's protector and that if they feel like something is wrong their reaction can be the same or even worse than the child's reaction to a situation. Having open communication with the parent with and without the child present is something I really believe would be helpful in understanding, stopping, correcting, and even preventing situations that would cause problems for the students or the classroom environment.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This reminds me sooooo much of the idea of "Parents living through their kids." I think in a way, we all do it some way or another. Any of you who have brothers or sisters probably know that no matter what, your sibling is correct until PROVEN guilty and then still often is correct. Parents just happen to take it to the next level. I don't think they are completly wrong because kids should have someone who they feel they can turn to and trust to back them up. While in some ways it would make a teachers job easier if the parents took everything the teacher said as true, it could possibly make a situation where the child would feel backed into a corner all the time. With that said, it would be nice not to have the parents that go crazy over the situations.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with what most everyone has said and I think that in certain situations some parents can get in the way of learning or broadening their child's horizons. Children have to be taught to discriminate against people who are not like them or do not share their same beliefs. I think that this can have negative effects on the students at times because they can miss out on a learning experience or getting to know someone. I think that it is important for children to form their own ideas and beliefs, but it is definitely okay for parents to make their opinions known.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:52 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think parents try to enstill the beliefs that they have into their children/ Most children have the same beliefs as their parents. So, for a parent to support a certain action or idea lets their child know that that is ok, but if a parent rejects an action or idea, the child knows that it is wrong. As parents we are supposed to guide and protect our children so letting them do "whatever" doesn't make it right. As older adults we do know more about society and lifestyles.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]