View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 GLBTQ Panel 
All-star
All-star

So I personally enjoyed the panel discussion we had today. It made me wonder if this sort of thing could ever work in a high school setting. Several of the panel members mentioned feeling completely alone during high school. Had they had this sort of experience/interaction when they were fifteen years old, maybe high school would not have been such a difficult time period for them. And I don't think it could ever hurt to have heterosexual students exposed so they can learn/ask questions/understand etc.

Obviously I don't think this could be a mandatory thing - especially since I anticipate some students would 1) not want to go 2) be immature/offensive and some parents may not like the idea. But you know..I wonder if having a panel thing like this after school one day for anyone who wanted to go could work. Thoughts?

Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that is a great idea Natalie. While i was listening to their stories yesterday i also thought it must have been so hard for them in high school, and what could have been done to make their lives easier. They all said they felt very lonely and didn't know who they could turn to to talk. The sticker idea was also very good because that would allow that student to feel more comfortable around their teacher. I think it is very important to have resources for students to be able to figure out who they are and feel comfortable with themselves. I thought it was interesting how it took all of them to go to college for them be able to truly be who they are. Maybe if there was something like this in high schools and the communities were more accepting and understanding then their lives wouldn't have to be as difficult.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that it would be helpful for students to be able to talk about what they were going through and it could also help other students become more accepting. From what we learned in class I feel like it would have been really beneficial to these students and it would have made high school less stressful for them. Like Natalie said though, some students may not want to attend, and others may be too immature to handle a discussion like this.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:37 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If parents and administration could go through with it then I think it could help students like that find an outlet. Its had growing up and no one wants to be alone when they are trying to discover themselves. I personally don't understand why people want to be gay but that is something me and the gay community will have to agree to disagree about.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]