View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 repeated tardiness 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I wanted to enter a last minute post because I didn't get to say what I wanted to say in class before it ended. We were talking about a student being repeatedly late and I wanted to make a comment about a suggestion that was made. One student said they would shut and lock the door when the bell rang. I'm sorry, but wouldn't that still still keep the student from coming in? I don't think that would help anything I think it would make it worse. If a student is late, you are going to shut the door in their face? That tells them hey I don't want you in my classroom. I don't think that that would be the best way to handle a tardy student and I wondered if anyone else had anything to say about a good way to handle it. I know nobody will probably post because class is over, but I wanted to get my opinion out there anyway.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you that shutting the door would detour the student from wanting to be there. Like most anything else, I think that if there is some form of reward, a reason for the student to be on time, it would work much better. One thing is that if a student is on time every day of the week, they get one point towards a test. It doesn't sound like much but there are some 20-25 weeks per semester. I think most of all, understanding the situation is the most important part. Everyone has been late a few times for one reason or another. What particular reason is this particular student late.
One last point I'd like to make is that if a teacher shuts a door and two students are left outside. One that has never been late and one that is late often, does the teacher open the door and let the one who is never late in, let both of them in, or let neither of them in?

Fri May 01, 2009 11:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]