View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:45 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Music Education: public vs. private 

Did you participate in Band in your Middle/High school and, if so, did you attend a public or private school?
DID participate in band: Public School 69%  69%  [ 9 ]
DID participate in band: Private School 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
DID NOT participate in band. 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 13

Music Education: public vs. private 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a future Music Educator, I find public schools an obvious necessity. Oftentimes it is the more well-funded private schools that have the advantage of luxurious facilities, high-quality instruments, and a broad range of valuable musical literature. However, due to the smaller population of these private schools, the bands numbers usually suffer. It is a shame to me that public schools don't have the same financial "problem". Usually the public music programs have greater numbers of students and smaller budgets. Any ideas on how future teachers of ALL areas can help to change this?

(by the way...I just discovered that I've been posting under section 102 instead of 103...my bad) :oops:

Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a future music educator, i understand how you feel about this subject. But, music departments get such a large portion of the school budget as is, i feel that we do not have the right to complain as much as we do. We are in a field that is very expensive to sustain a quality program, but compared to other departments we are receiving a substantially greater amount of funding. Although there are some programs out there that hardly get any money at all, and should complain, most programs are capable of running with what they have.

As for getting more money for your program all i can say is fund raise. Most people are more than willing to give money to "the band". Almost everyone knows somebody or is related to someone in band, and love to support programs. If done right a band can fund raise enough money to carry itself.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I did not participate in band, but I did participate in chorus and we had some of the same issues. I am an elementary ed. major, but I believe that all of the arts need more funding. They are essential parts of a well-rounded education and studies show that participating in them helps students in other academic areas. I went to a performing arts magnet high school and our choral program still didn't get enough funding. We always had music that was copied illegally and we had to pay out of pocket for costumes, props, and sometimes trips or competitions. I remember that we would always run out of money before the end of the first semester. This is unacceptable, especially for a supposed performing arts school. Also, I don't think it's unfair to claim that your program is not getting enough funding. I believe that if you believe there are certain things that you need for your students to help them achieve and receive the best education possible, you are within every right to ask for support to do just that no matter what your subject area.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Having worked in the music instrument retail industry I don't really understand where all the fuss about public schools not getting enough money for their band program comes from. Yes there are some schools that don't get very much money from the school system but there are also many that do not budget their money correctly. As well as others who just think their program needs more than it is capable of supporting. If you look at how much the average music program receives compared to say your English program.

Also everybody talks about fund raisers. Well as a music teacher you are in charge of several performing groups. You know and talk to a lot of student musicians as well as local musicians in your day to day workings. Selling fruit shouldn't be your main fund raiser. Use your band parents group and orginize performances with your students. "Exploit" the musicians you have at your disposal to raise funds for your program if you feel you need more money for these students. Something simple as a recording of your concerts is a great fund raiser. Many more options than your English teacher has for raising outside money. It is an expensive business but there are ways to make it work.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I realize that music and art are some of the first things to be cut in the public school system and I do not agree with this at all. I feel that our students deserve to have an appropriate education in important subject matters such as art and music. I feel that elementary schools that do not have art and music programs are leaving it up to classroom teachers and that students are not being educated in the "meat and potatoes" of these subjects.
As far as music programs in schools go, I think fundraisers are a great idea but some students sometimes have a rough time with these. I think the key to success when not having money is being creative. For example, I heard about the band that marched in the inauguration parade that used band uniforms from the thrift store because of lack of funding at their school, and I thought that was so neat. So, I feel that not having money is hard but you must find ways to survive and must be creative.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I participated in band in both middle and high school at a public school. As far as the success of our band, we did very well, but this success had a lot to do with our band instructor. He was phenomenal at raising money as well as sparking interest in students at a young age. He had been around a very long time and had given our school a great music reputation. To this day I have no idea how he was able to deal 150 high school students on a daily basis by himself and construct us into one of the best marching bands in western North Carolina. To go with the point that Taryn said about having smaller numbers of participants at private schools, I feel as though it is because the exposure to music at a young age is nonexistent because of the push on academics as well as the ever daunting money issue. If students are exposed to the thought of music at a young age, this will most likely spark into something that will last a long time. Money often times makes or breaks a school’s decision to cut a program. I strongly believe the more interest there is in music in the community, teachers, parents and students can come up with ways to make the arts in schools thrive and be successful.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Did you participate in Band in your Middle/High school and, if so, did you attend a public or private school?

I did not participate in Band in Middle/High school but I did participate in chorus in a public school. Once I got to high school I never even thought about trying out for chorus because of how well you have to be able to sing. Even when I was in middle school money was an issue. Just like everything today, money can become a problem and it always stood in our way of wanting to attend places to sing. In my highschool our band had money issues and did many fund raisers. I believe music is a great asset to schools in any way and is something I will definitely find ways to use in my classroom.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:04 pm
All-star
All-star

I was never a very creative student in high school and I choose not to participate in music or art class. HOwever, I think that they are an essential part of the school curriculum. As I look at it from a teacher perspective, I think that some students need courses like this because it is how they learn best. The use of hands on activities, and visual aids can really enhance the performance of students who learn better in that way! I do not think that they should ever be removed from the school!

As far as fundraising goes, I also agree that it is important to be creative and use all of your resources!

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:51 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]