View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:27 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 What Learning Theory and Philosophy do you fit into? 
All-star
All-star

As I began to look at the chart about the different Learning Theories and Philosophies when they are applied to schooling, I began to figure out which learning theory I felt would be most relevant to my future teaching style. I came to the conclusion that I would combine two of the philosophies because I felt both are relative to what I believe in.

The first philosophy I agree with is the critical theory from Karl Marx, Henry Giroux, Michael Apple and Paulo Freire. The main reason I chose this philosophy is because the students use everyday life experiences as well as they emphasize subjects such as history, mathematics, literature, drama, art, crafts, social sciences, and science. I feel like students would get a taste of all subjects and explore several different topics. The only part of this philosophy I don’t particularly agree with is the educational outcomes. I do agree that we should create a world where all children are treated equally but children should also be aware that there will be situations where they will not be treated equally.

The second philosophy I would center my teacher around would be the Cognitivism/ Developmentalism philosophy. I felt as though this philosophy is filled with the idea of hands on learning and allows children to experience creative, real life learning opportunities. It allows students not to be narrow minded and teaches them to think outside the box.
With the being said, which philosophy/philosophy do you consider yourself to be as a future teacher of our youth?

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am definitely one who believes that children need to learn by hands on. I do not want my children to be narrow minded and to think outside of the box. I feel that it is important to bring in,share and utilize life experiences because this helps the learning process.

I feel that it is important to teach the text, or at least the context of the text and use whatever means necessary to get the information to the students by the manner in which they learn. I am prepared to challenge administration as well as my students to get them to learn. I am not sure if my teaching beliefs/philosophies are categorized, but I know that this is what will work for me as well as them. I feel that I am becoming a teacher because not everything is black and white and students need to be taught to deal with the grey!

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:23 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]