View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:09 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Move or Stay 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As for the question we talked about in class "if we could move to our own world and leave our world, would we?" I feel that we do have the freedom to do what we wish, but in this world there are always consequences we have to live with. In my own world I would do what I wanted to do, bring only people that I wanted to come, and not worry about money because it would be worthless. I would enjoy my own world because there wouldn't be any deadlines or stress that comes with the world we live in today. Just as I said in class I would hunt and fish everyday and live off the land. In the world we live in you have to stay on top of your game at all times and make sure that you have enough finances to support your family. We are living in a free country, but we have to do some things that I really don't want to do, but it is necessary due to the world we are living in today.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really like your take on this. I have to agree with you that I would leave too for the same reasons. This world we live in revolves around money. It seems like every action we make has to do with how much will this cost, or what will I get out of this and is it worth my time. Its hard to find people who do things who want nothing in return. Although I do have people in my life like this and I would want to take them with me on this new world. I remember when I was little I use to think about world peace. I use to say that we should take all the bad people in this world and put them on an island and let them kill each other. But this topic that was brought up in class made me think why not leave this world that is so full of greed and hatred and create your own world where you don't allow the bad people on it. Its nice to imagine a place where only good happens even if it is just a fantasy.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When we discussed this topic in class, the harder it was for me to choose between the new world or the same world. I loved how the new world was whatever i wanted it to be, and i could do whatever i wanted. But that would get old after awhile, and without effort success is worth nothing. There is no reward, doing what you want to do all day would be great, but then it would not make me feel complete at the end of the day. I think i would be better off just vacationing in the new world, that would be my ideal situation! :wink:

Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While it would be the "obvious" choice to want to live in a world where you can do whatever you want, I do not believe that it would make for the best life. Sometimes doing things that you do not want to do is what makes you a stronger, wiser, and better person. I'm not sure about the rest of you guys, but I do not want to make mistakes; It is something that I strive to avoid. Adversely, without making mistakes how can one learn from them? Living in my "I WANT" world would halt my advancement as a person, experience and wisdom-wise. Also, by only doing things that you want, how can a person expand his/her horizons to new "things". (These examples are so horribly vague that it hurts...) Oftentimes a person discovers their love for something that they initially did not like just by doing it! (Give your veggies a chance, they're actually really tasty! :wink: )

I think I'm just going to vacation with CJ in his world! 8)

Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think everyone has made some good points so far. I am still on the fence for this situation and would want to be in both worlds. I like the world we live in now but at the same time I would love a world where I could essentially "rule" everything. But just like in this world you get bored or you rather be somewhere else.
I think being in your own world would be fun to do whatever you want to do but then what would you be working for. As nice as it sounds to sit around and read all day or sleep whenever you want without a real schedule, having a schedule and classes keep me motivated. If I sit around all day and really don't do anything then I feel useless.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I honestly believe that if I could live in my own world I would. I would love to be away from all the fighting and hate in the world that we live in now. I feel that I would not know how to handle everything but I would do my best to make "my world" a peaceful and happy place all of the time. I feel as though I would choose to live in my own world because of all the bad things that are happening in the current world that we are in right now. I do agree with Megan though that it would get boring if you did not have some kind of schedule and you just went and did as you please I feel as though you would not enjoy the "good things" in life as much because they would be so common. I guess in all reality I would just like to get away and see how I could handle things on my own. It may or may not work but I think that it would be fun if I had a chance to have my own world and I would most certainly take it if I got the chance. :)

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:35 pm
All-star
All-star

I am still having mixed feelings about moving to this "ideal" world or not. It sounds amazing, do not get me wrong, but at the same time I think that most of us have become who we are by going through trials and tribulations in this world. We have learned and overcome situations that have given us new perspectives and beliefs and I just do not know that we would have that same opportunity in this "perfect" world. I would love to go and relax and do things that I want to do in this world, so I guess I might want to go and then return eventually.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought more about this question, and I decided that if I could take whoever I wanted with me and control who could come, and if I could come back to this world, then I would probably go. I would like to consider this other world as more of a vacation spot than a permanent place. I think a world with no consequences would be good for a while, but then I think things would get overwhelming. There would be so much I would want to do and so much time, that I don't think I'd be able to figure out what to do first, and I feel like I wouldn't be able to get used to the fact that I have time to do everything I want. I function better when I have a time crunch to finish something, otherwise I just waste time. I believe that too much of a good thing can be bad. And being in this world would eventually get stale, or it would end up being too much. So, I think I would go, but I would definitely want to come back here.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

after a lot of thought, i have finally decided what I would do. Even if I had the chance to go to a perfect world, I think that i would stay. If anyone has ever seen the movie 'Pursuit of Happyness' it is very obvious that we are always making our own choices in life. There are always things stopping us, but i believe that you can be whatever you want in this life if you want it bad enough. This man had less than $10, a young son to take care of, and hardly any education. He studied and worked hard enough to become a Stock Broker and eventually become a millionaire. I believe that if we went to our own perfect world, we would take things for granted in life. Life isn't just about the good things. Its about learning from the bad and becoming a better person from it....

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would share my world with Brad. I believe in living off the land and would love the free time to do so. My life is so hectic with my schedule and my childrens' schedules. I believe in letting them explore their interests and if that means that I run them around 5 days a week, then that is what I will do, but sometimes I wish we could have a different environment to live in, without the pressures of society, without the pressures or influence of money.
In my world, it would be that value was that of hard work. Maybe because of my age but I get so tired of everyday necessities costing so much and then you hear of oil executives making billion$ sales records. I am tired of the working middle class struggling to keep the economy afloat while the rich just keep getting richer!! I want my own world!!

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Honestly, I would probably go to my own world. If I could just say that I was an accomplished person and automatically be an accomplished person, then show me the way! I love the feeling that I get when I complete something rather difficult and do well with it, but sometimes it's really easy to lose sight of what you have been working towards and things can get discouraging. Of course, people would be on the honor system in this new world, but aren't we all already on that system? We would get thrown in jail for anything we do, but we can go out and do it. There are just punishments to face afterward. In a world where you can do anything, I still don't believe I would act much differently. As was mentioned in class, I would be wracked with guilt constantly if I did something terrible, even if I was punished. Plus, since I could choose who and who could not come, I would make sure to choose people that I felt would not go berserk in a "lawless" environment. But I mean really, I would love a vacation from all the homework, so sign me up!

Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If I had the choice to leave our world for another one, I think I would choose to stay. I think I already live in a world where I can do what I want. I make time for the things I want to do and the things I enjoy. I also believe that having the things I'm required to do make me feel accomplished. I like having a routine and schedule. I like knowing that I work hard on what I do and can look back on what I've accomplished at the end of the day. I think that if I went to another world, I would get tired of doing whatever I wanted every day because it wouldn't be rewarding. I agree with Charles, I would like to vacation in the other world, but I'm pretty content here.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:02 pm
All-star
All-star

If I were given the choice to move to my own world I would do it under certain conditions. First, I would take all my family, friends, and my boyfriend. Second, I would want to come back to the real world anytime that I wanted. I think I would mostly use this world as a summer vacation. I would teach during the school year in the real world and then move to my world during summer vacation. My world would be somewhere tropical with blue water and white sand. It would always be hot and sunny so that I could lay out in the sun everyday. I would spend my time laying out in the sun, reading, fishing and riding four-wheelers on the beach. We would also need a nail salon nearby. I would also spend a lot of my time teaching myself various things. I love to learn new things. However, I do believe I would get tired of this world after awhile. Life isn't always perfect, but you learn from everything that you go through.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:36 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am still on the fence debating on the question of "Would I move or stay" if I were given the option of a different and seperate life. I am unsure as to which would be better and most beneficial. I feel as if I enjoy the life i live now in the sense that I enjoy the diversity and the surprises and challanges of life. Without surprises and challanges, my world would be dull and fruitless. I agree with several of the responses however, that money has and more than likely will always be a key issue and dependencey within our society. This leads me more toward wanting to leave this corrupt money craving society. I feel that if I could create my own world, money would be more of a reward than a necessity! Life would be more about enjoyment and relaxation, rather than the hussle and bussle of our crazy economic society. However, with the comment made in class....If I could opt to return to this life if i were unsatisfied with my "pretend" life...I would definetly give it a shot!

Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that if I was given the chance to move or stay I would probably move; however, I would want the option to come back whenever I wanted. If I moved to the new "my" world, I would want to take my family, friends, boyfriend, and his family. I would still want to be able to teach. I agree with Brad that money would not be an issue in my world. I also agree with Taryn about how mistakes and doing things you do not want to do make you a stronger person, which caused me to be on the fence for a while. After a thought about both sides, I realized that the new world is "my" world and the only thing that I would really want to change about my world would be that money would be worthless and I would have more time to do what I wanted to do. I love the world we live in now but I really wish I had more time to do things I want to do and had the money to do it. I want to teach more than anything, but I also want to travel, get my scuba license, go shark diving, have more time to scrapbook, go hiking, and read. So in my world I would not have to worry about money and I would have more time to do things I never really get to do.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't like the idea of leaving this world and going to my own world. If things were perfect there honestly wouldn't be any fun or adventure. People say that they just want to get all the bad people and get rid of them, but honestly everyone is bad and everyone has their own opinion of what is right. No matter what anybody says, everyone loves drama.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would love to pack my things for a world of my own. Life would be amazing and completely fulfilling. There’s nothing that this world has to offer that couldn’t have in my own. I love the thought of being with the people I love doing the things I love to do all the time. I’d have a chance to breath and rest easy knowing I can relax for good. I hate how there’s always this sense of false relaxation. When we get a small break from school it’s just a tease. Throughout life there’s always going to be something else to dread. In my world there’d be no sadness or hatred; not sickness or grief. In fact, after last week’s discussion in class I got a little blue because I wish I could head to my own world right now! I try not to take for granted how fortunate I am in this world, but I do wish I could be free to do whatever I please with the people I love always with me.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would definately move to this new world if given the opportunity. I would dance alot, exercise everyday and never worry about anything. I feel that this world comes with lots of stress and unessasary obstacles and hoops to jump through. In my world, I would be a teacher and teach however I want to and teach my kids whatever I thought was important instead of what the state thinks is important. I would definately want my friends and family in this world with me. I am picturing this world near some kind of beach where I could watch the sunset each day and relax and read books I am actually interested in. I would leave today for this place if I could:)

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If i got to choose to move to my own world i think i would, but only for a little while. I think eventually i might get bored with my own rules and all that stuff. It would be cool if you could come and go from your own world as you please...then I would definitely want to go. It would be like my vacation away from life. There really isn't much in society as far as rules go that annoy me...other than the speed limit...but there are things that happen in our country that I find immorally wrong and in my world that would not take place. Actually a lot of things that happen in our country would not exist in my world. But I guess dreaming about our own little worlds is not going to fix anything. We have to do the best we can with what we have right here.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:16 am
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that I would stay, it would be nice to move somewhere where I could have a break, relax and do whatever I wanted but if you can't balance having time to yourself in our world today then you are not going to make it. I feel like everything I do and achieve I feel like I've accomplished something after the fact and being able to relax after working so hard is that much more worth it. I feel like going to another world would just be escaping reality and I do not feel like it is healthy to deal with things that way. I think that vacation can be a way to go to another world, to relax and just get away for awhile. I can go a year with having a week or two of vacation. So would I stay or go? I would definitely stay.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:07 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next