View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:10 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Social Class Collision on Wife Swap 
All-star
All-star

I don't usually watch the show, Wife Swap, but when I saw this featured on Yahoo!, I had to investigate it. I'm not trying to offend people or anything. I just wanted to share this article and video because I felt that it ties in with our social class discussion. It pretty much depicts social class stereotypes and assumptions that are made on opposite ends of the spectrum. This show will feature two families that are usually opposites from each other whether it's about religion, social class, etc. And for a few weeks the wives will swap places with each other and make new rules for the new household they are in. So, it's one of those reality-entertainment shows but they had no idea that people would be outraged from one of the husbands on the show. Here's the link to the article on Yahoo!

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/husbands-behaving-badly--120

And here is another link to see what this husband was like on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zMH9xrzgdw

Once again, I'm not trying to offend anybody. I just wanted to see what your reactions were to this man.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:48 am
All-star
All-star

Okay, so since nobody is going to start the discussion, I will. I think the man on the show needs to be taught some manners. No one should talk down to anyone like that. Period. Yes, he might have been raised in a family higher up on the social class end but that does not give him the right to degrade someone he has never met in his life who is not so high up on the social class scale. This man was humiliating this woman in front of his children for crying out loud! So, yeah that's how I felt about it. I feel like Simon Cowell can't even touch this guy, lol.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Unfortunately, I have to admit I do watch Wife Swap on occasion. The show always sets itself up for conflict, but when I watched the clip from this episode, I was pretty shocked. I agree that regardless of how ‘educated’ or intellectual you may be, you shouldn’t belittle other human beings in such a cruel way. It’s behavior like this that perpetuates the stereotypes that plague or society. It’s amazing how people can be so narrow minded and ignorant, yet simultaneously try to flaunt their class. People with true class don’t treat others like dirt. What a jerk.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Maggie you should never be little anyone...I think that only makes you look bad and if an awful way for to be. When things are like that on TV it only shows others bad behavior. We don't need anymore of that.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do watch Wife Swap and I completely agree that you should never talk down to anyone to belittle them. I do not necessarily think that Wife Swap promotes bad behavior life this I think that it is for entertainment that they swap to toally opposite people and then try and see how they would survive in each others home. Some of the shows have been really good and beneficial for the families because it has brought the families closer together, but then again like the one that is shown and a few others I have seen have been very negative experiences for the ones that were involved. No matter what you watch on television you are going to see positive and negative and I think it is up to the person whether or not they let it influence the way that they live. All in all I really enjoy watching wife swap, but I myself would never go on there!! :)

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well, like many of you, I watch Wife-Swap, too. I am not ashamed at this. I think it is an extreme way to teach people lessons, though. They are sometimes hard learned, or not learned at all sometimes. Thing is, Wife-Swap is a crappy way to make other people feel bad about themselves. I feel so bad for most people at the end of the show, but it's sort of like a train wreck: I couldn't look away (even though I have never seen an actual train wreck to look away from). Mostly, I feel like the show is lacking in class and tact because (much like The Real World on MTV) they put the most different and spirited (and at times odd) folks they can find and mush them together. Of course there is going to be conflict. But I still watch it.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I watch Wife Swap too and I completely agree with Maggie about not to belittle people. Shows like this are just like many other shows out there that obviously are for entertainment. Of course there not going to swap families that are relatively the same because viewers wouldnt watch that. This show is full of drama just like many, many others.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that it is fake. they just want to get an uprising out of us. But the sad part is, I think that it is based on a reality. Personally, I now wander what am I so blatantly ignorant about?

Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:45 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]