View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
 Believing in your students 
All-star
All-star

During last Thursday’s discussion Kellie mentioned something that allowed me to recollect on my reasons of becoming a teacher and what led me to pursue such a challenging, stressful, yet rewarding career. She mentioned something along the lines of believing in your students and trying to doing everything possible to help them succeed. I found her comment to be very relevant to what I hope to accomplish in my classroom as a teacher. I couldn’t imagine as a future educator not wanting or not feeling the motivation to create a learning environment where every student could succeed.

I’ve been in several education classes where students talked about teachers not trying their hardest to accommodate a learning style or overlooking a problem in the classroom because they do not want to deal with it. I understand that teaching is a demanding occupation but I feel as though it is imperative to try my hardest and use all of my resources to help a child and solve a situation presented to me, whether it be a discipline problem, a learning disability or a parent situation. My goal as a future educator is to try to do everything humanly possible to help a child succeed and let them know what I believe that can do anything they set their mind to. Coming from a high school of remarkable teachers, there were several instances where I felt comfort in knowing a teacher believed I could master a subject area or perform well on a test. I hope to bestow a sense of belief in my own students and try my hardest to help students achieve their goals.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what you said about Kellie- she really hit home with me too. I remember sitting there thinking, "I hope my kids have teachers like her!" It is so easy to count all of the things that are wrong with the educational system in America, but we have to mantain hope in the teachers who do believe in their students, and hope in ourselves that we will be that kind of teacher as well. I think that people from other majors kind of assume that teaching is an "easy" major, but I wish they could see how wrong they are. I never imagined training to become a teacher would be so completely emtionally draining. I am already so passionate about it, and I'm not even teaching yet! I hope that one day we will all be teachers like Kellie described. I think that is what we need to remember and work toward.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was not in class last Thursday but I definitely agree with everything that is being said. I can not imagine as a teacher not doing everything I could to help every child in my classroom succeed. I understand that teaching is demanding and you may not be able to do everything for every child all the time, but if you do not try then what is the point in teaching? I believe that if we expect our students to try their hardest to succeed in what they are doing then I believe that we should be expected to do the same thing. A teacher can believe in their students all they want to but if they do not do everything they can to help their students achieve then how is that child going to succeed and know that you believe in them?

Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Joni and everyone else about the issue that was mentioned in class by Kelli. I also feel that some people assuem that a teacher major is "easy." But if they were to step foot into the field they would see it in a different light. I agree that in order to become a teacher your emotions and feelings must be in check. We really have to have faith in our students, and have the desire to be leader and a motivator. Although training to be a teacher can be emotional draining, I believe that makes me who I am. I feel that I would be a totally different person if I had a different heart. But I am thankful for the strong emotions I do have and the passionate heart for teaching that I hope to one day pass along to my fellow teachers and especially my students.

Also, I agree that in todays society it seems that we continue to pick out the flaws within the American Education System. In some ways this is benefical in order to correct the wrong of teachers and school systems throughout our society, but on the other hand I believe in starting fresh! By this I mean, stuff all of the negative memories about teaching into the trash, and have an optimistic view of teaching. In my opinion, we should all really be the teachers we WANT to be, not follow the norm of previous teachers. Personally, I can not wait to have my first job teaching and to put my all into teaching and guiding those students.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:53 pm
All-star
All-star

I really agree with all that has been said. I think that it is important to put all of ourselves into our teaching. I also think that it is easy for us to be harsh when we look at other teachers and there mistakes but we must remember that we are all human. Im sure at some point or another we will all make mistakes. But like what has been said, i want to start fresh too! I want to poor myself out into the students. And I hope that someday my kids will have teachers like Kellie and the rest of you who also want to poor yourselves into the students. Its important for us to be passionate about our jobs. We are going to have such an influence on these students lives, especially elementary teachers because they spend so many hours with the kids each day.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that as teachers we must be passionate about what we are doing, because many times the only way to make a kid passionate about a subject is for you to be passionate about it. I can remember having a math teacher who was so passionate about math and would come up with all different ways for us to remember facts such as songs and art. I hate math but her passion made me want to learn. I did better in that math class than I have ever done in math before. I think that kids will absolutely perform better if you show an interest in the subject and are passionate about what you are teaching them. Passion is often contageous, at least it is with me.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that a lot of people in class are really idealistic about teaching. I have goals that I want to accomplish as well, but I feel I'm more realistic than others. Some might see that as a bad thing, but oh well. I'm passionate about teaching as well but when we get out into the schools, I feel like everything we wanted to accomplish might not get done. I'm going to do everything I can to teach my students, but not all students are going to want to learn, regardless of how many different ways you try to spark their interest.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Amen to all of you! Teachers should be there to help students and it is so sad to see teachers who have chosen their career as a "backup plan". I saw very few of those in my high school but I know they are out there! I want to teach because I want to provide an environment for my students where they feel like they can succeed. I want my students to feel like somebody and while I know that it will be challenging, I will try my very hardest to see that each individual student succeeds. Why be a teacher if this is not the goal? Teachers are supposed to help students. They are supposed to be mentors for them, not just teach them the subject matter. I can't wait to get into the classroom and make a difference in the lives of ALL of my students! And I am prepared for disappointment, as we all should be because not every student is going to react the way we want but I know that later on down they road, they may remember me and what I tried to do for them.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:41 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree that we as teachers must be passionate about our job because we have the chance to change so many lives and to make so many lives better and more rewarding for the students that we are going to come in contact with. I also think that it is imporatnt for you to be passionate about what you are doing because if you are not then you are not going to do the job to the best of your ability and a career as a teacher is not a job that you do not go into being passionate about. As far as teaching as a "back up" plan I think that is wrong and very sad as well. Some people are not mean't to be teachers and for those that choose to teach as a back up plan I feel liek they should do some soul searching because teachers have huge impact on the future and you do not want these people teaching children if they are not going to be passionate and care about what they do. I am not saying all these people that choose to teach as a backup do not care but I feel as if they are going into it for the wrong reason.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with majority of what is being said. I feel like as teachers is it our responsibility to do everything in our power to help our kids succeed. I agree with Amanda that we have to be realistic with our goals and understand that we are not going to get through to all kids all the time, and that we should still try everything we can think of to help. I agree that a lot of people focus on whats wrong with our school today, but I feel like that might be a good thing because I know several teachers who were inspired that way. Whats wrong with our schools fueled their passion to become the best teacher they can be and to advocate for what they believe teaching should be like.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My top reason for choosing this profession is because I wanted to help children succeed in school. I know that it is going to be so rewarding and I can't wait for all of us to have that feeling! People shouldn't be allowed to become teachers just because they like having summers off and think its "easy". Whoever said teaching was easy is very wrong and probably has not passion for helping children. I can't wait to believe in every student that I teach and help them to believe in him or herself. I know it won't be easy, but I am excited nevertheless.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One of the reasons I became a teacher was because I love kids and I feel like helping the succeed is such a reward. I'm passionate about my decision to become a teacher and feel like I can make a difference. I am aware that the school system I work in and all of the standards that need to be met may be a challenge for me, but I think it is our job to help every student reach their highest potential. Some of my favorite teachers taught subjects that I didn't even like, but because they made it interesting and were passionate about it, I learned a lot. Teachers have to be passionate about their job so that they can make students passionate about learning.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too, am very passionate about becoming a teacher and next semester I will be student teaching. I am in my internship now and it is a rude awakening. There are many things I see that I will not do and some things that I had never thought of to do in that approach. While sitting in a classroom at ASU and talking about teaching is very simple but getting into the classroom is very challenging and difficult. I feel that student teaching should not be your last semester in college. Some are simply not cut out for the challenge and this would allow them to make a change in their major before it is too late.

I am very realistic about teaching. Maybe it is because I am older and have "life" experience that most of you do not have. I also have children and I have witnessed good and bad things in their educators thus far. I think as teachers you need to realize that there will be days when things are great and there will be days when you want to give up. Just always remember while it may not get any easier, it will become more rewarding as you get into the groove of this new life!!

I feel that we are all passionate about becoming teachers-we need to remember why we chose to become them!!

Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally again with Martha, I think that we need to remember why we wanted to become a teacher! I think that all you can do it what you think you can do. So if you set your standards high then it will be harder to bring them down. I also think once we get into the classroom that it will be easy to talk about what we believe but I think that it is really important to remember how you were treated when you were a student and make sure that treat the students the way you wish you were treated. You are the one that has the ability to make your classroom the way you want it. If you want your classroom to be negative and not believe in your students wanting to learning then thats just what you will get!

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have always wanted to be a teacher. When I was younger I played in my basement and taught my stuffed animals. I have always loved being around children, whether I was in my church's nursery or in a 2nd grade classroom with my high school internship.
I have always loved the quote, "A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove . . . . but the world maybe different because I was important in the life of a child." In becoming a teacher I want to strive to be like this quote. Like I always say in class I think that if you are enthusiastic and motivate your students enough that they will want to learn. I know that people are saying they are realistic and I believe you can be that way, I know it is easier said than done when it comes to teaching and helping your students but if you know the reality then you should strive to be better, become a better teacher. Teachers need to take others failures and become stronger from them. I know that it is hard for teachers to overcome sterotypes but I hope that through my mission work, the classrooms I have been in, the teachers I have observed, my past experience, and my mom's kind heart that I strive to have I can overcome this and be an amazing teacher who helps each and every one of my students to learn in the best way that they can.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I have always wanted to be an elementary school teacher..ever since I was a little girl and played 'school' with my cousin. As a teacher, it is my responsibility to do everything in my power to accommodate all students and to give all students an equal opportunity to learn. I know that teaching has a high turnover rate and that many teachers are miserable in their job. However, I truly hope that this does not happen to me. I am passionate about teaching and I want to do everything I can to give students a good start to their education. I believe teaching is what you make it. If you go in to the classroom everyday and lecture and have your students do worksheets than you are probably going to get bored with your job. However, if you take the time to plan fun, hands-on activities then your job is going to be much more exciting and worthwhile.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Since I have decided to become a Physical Education teacher my junior year in high school I have never looked back. I have had many different experiences working with children of all ages. Some experiences were better than others but overall I have loved it. Here at ASU in the Physical Education program we learn how to make modifications for students that are progressing slower or faster than the others. Also we use cues to help students better understand the exact technique they should be using in order to perform each individual skill. This gives everyone a chance to learn and develop at their own pace. I do realize that many teachers hate their jobs, but I have no doubt that I am in the right occupational field. I am just going to be well prepared for each lesson and be ready for anything that might be thrown my way.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't understand why there are teachers out there who actually do not believe in their students. Thats just like being a doctor and not doing everything you know to help someone live. Why be a teacher if your not going to believe in your students? I think the students who are being sent out of the classroom to someone because that teacher thinks the student has a disability or something is wrong with them, are the teachers who do not believe or care about those students. How can students learn to believe in themselves if their teacher, who they are with 8 hours of the day, does not even believe in them? Honestly it just drives me nuts that some teachers actually do not believe in their students. I for one will definitely believe in each student in my classroom and hope everyone else will to.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Anna, you said it all! I completely agree with you! I can't stand hearing these stories of teachers actually telling kids that they won't amount to anything. Or that they "can't do it". It's sad to even think that some teachers don't believe in their students but it's true. Usually these teachers are easily irritated or they refuse to see what their students are truly capable of. When teachers give off that attitude then that's just encouraging students to not even try if they won't "amount to anything". Today, I led a flute sectional with a couple middle school band students and it was a great because it allowed me more experience of why I wanted to be a band director in the first place. These kids also sat with us in our wind ensemble rehearsal and didn't even at least try to play our music. Granted it was extremely hard but if they made mistakes, that was fine! I asked them to just try but they were just like, "I can't play this". I hope to inspire my future students to continue band and I'll do that by believing in them and not give up on them because they are my students and it's my responsibility to be an amazing teacher. I want them to succeed in everything they do.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:30 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 19 posts ]