View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:45 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 IQ 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Post IQ
I found it really interesting that Binet never intended the test he developed to be a measurement of hereditary intelligence. It seems like that tends to be all it is used for here. I agree with his idea that intelligence isn't static and that it is not necessarily hereditary. Yes, it is true that some sort of birth defect or hereditary disorder could affect your intelligence, but that isn't the only factor. A person's thinking capacity grows as they grow and experience more. Plus, there are instances where people's IQ scores have actually dropped after a traumatic event, such as death or illness. This is completely understandable because after something like that it would be much harder to process anything. How can this be explained if our intelligence is supposedly set from birth? I like that Binet wanted to use his test to help identify students that need some extra help at that point in time as opposed to the test's current proponents that just want to categorize children permanently. I believe that our education system and society would be infinitely better if this point of view could be the prevailing one for a change.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just wanted to add that the IQ test was based on white upper class. Diversity was not acknowledged for the IQ test.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Sara's comment on IQ not being static, it is more fluid than anything else. More the most part a regular IQ test that we all took in the younger grades was based on our culture more than anything else. If you were not from this country then naturally you would do worse on the test. Not only that I believe that your IQ changes over time due to traumatic or even sometimes good events in your life.

At the same time how can a test really measure someone's intelligence? What if they are simply not a good test taker? What if they get test anxiety? What if they have a reading problem? Do those factors really affect how intelligent a person is?

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I remember talking about IQ tests in Childs Psych. last semester and how it was made for a specific group. I don't think its right that we base how smart a child is based a test score. To me test scores don't mean anything because I know I always struggled with testing and getting nervous. I think a lot of kids have test anxiety and are really smart but have a hard time because they get labeled because of certain tests that they have to take in order to be placed in classes.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After talking in class today about IQ testing I do not think that intelligence is based on this test because taking this test alone does not tell us what the child will learn it just concentrates more so on the ability. Like Dr. Turner said, everyone has the ability to learn how to learn and I firmly believe that as well. I think that you can not place a student into a category just by giving them a test because some children do not test well. Also after looking at the beta test it shows just how culture can affect these test results as well. I do feel that an IQ test can give you a sense of what the child knows but I do not think their intelligence should be soley based on this one test.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Post IQ
After yesterday's discussion, I really began to notice how IQ testing can discriminate against certain cultures. I thought the Beta test was a good example of this. I don't believe intelligence is static. I believe it changes as we change. I believe people can learn to learn if they really want to better themselves. I also don't believe that intelligence is based on heredity. On the Tyra show the other day they showed a girl who grew up in extreme poverty with illiterate and uneducated family members, but overcame all this and was the first one in her family to graduate high school, graduate college with high honors, and attend law school. I feel like this shows how one can overcome their culture capital and exceed expectations that society can place on them.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:56 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not a firm believer in IQ testing. I realize that it has to be done in certain situations. However to place a label on a child as to whether or not they have the ability to learn. I feel that children do have test anxiety, especially if they know that they are being tested for placement.

I do not believe that intelligence is based on heredity, but do know that learning disorders are hereditary. My daughter is ADD and is dyslexic and that is from her father. They learn and process information the same way and my son learns in the same fashion that I do. I feel that all children are capable of learning anything, it is all in the matter of the delivery method.

Do I believe in IQ tests? No, not really. I feel that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover and I feel that you can't judge a child and their potential learning ability by a number on a piece of paper.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that IQ testing does result in students being labeled and separated into different groups in school. I do feel that IQ testing must be done in certain situations but Martha is right some students don't do well on tests. I think an IQ test is a lot like an EOG, it is just a number and does not really describe what a child is capable of and how much intelligence they have. In my opinion, I think a childs portfolio should be the biggest thing that teachers look at in school to see what a child is capable of. I think schools should evaluate a students performance from the whole year on work they have done instead of letting it all boil down to one or two test scores.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

IQ testing, like anything else, can be good or bad depending on how we use it. I don't think it's fair to generalize and say that as a whole, IQ testing is a bad thing. It's relevant in certain situations and for certain uses, but it can also have very adverse effects. For example, let's say you have 2 siblings. One has a higher IQ than the other, and people make it known to them. Because one's is lower, that child may think that that not only means that they aren't as smart, but also that they can't do as much, therefore they may not try hard simply because they aren't expected to. A child will perform as much or as little as people expect them to, so, regardless of an IQ test, as teachers, we need to let children know that they are just as capable, just as talented, and just as smart as others around them. If we don't give them the outlet and mindset to achieve, then regardless of their IQ, they aren't going to achieve.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:29 pm
All-star
All-star

Last weeks discussion on IQ made me think about how yes, I do believe that people get intelligence from heredity, but I also believe that intelligence comes from experiences and how you are raised and what you are exposed to. From my experiences I feel as though people have different levels of intelligence. For example, my dad worked on a NASCAR race team when I was younger and then moved on to be a graphic designer with a God given talent. He combined both of his passions, racing and art and puts decals on racecars, designs t-shirts and signs. As a child I would go with my dad to put graphics on race cars and learned the different mechanics to do so. This is a form of intelligence that very few children have. On another note my intelligence would have no use on a farm or in a hospital. I feel as though experiences guide a person to being intelligent.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe your intelligence comes form your experiences and the things you went through growing up. Intelligence is not limited to being book smart only. This brings up the question, is IQ testing necessary? I do not believe it is. IQ testing leads to labeling children, which ultimately is not a good thing. When talking about tests you have to take into consideration other factors such as test anxiety. Therefore, IQ tests are not effective or useful in my opinion.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Eva. I always have a hard time taking tests because of the anxiety it gives me. Its not fair that we use tests to determine such huge placements. SAT scores, for example, determine a huge part of your entire life like where you can go to college, and what kind of education you can get. Educators and board members need to really look into what test scores really mean and if they are reliable or not.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree with Martha. I agree children do have test anxiety, and when a test is given to them the more that anxiety will become. I feel like an IQ test just gives a number to a student without truely seeing how intelligent he/she might be. In my opinion, the test just gives a number that isn't even reliable or effective.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I disagree... J/k.. everyone said they agreed so I had to bring some controversy... But really I agree.. I do not think that test should be thrown out the window, but I think that it can be used to study things, like what do most people do worse on after a traumatic event. Way too much emphasis is put on a test trying to measure something that I deem as unmeasurable.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:32 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]