View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Hello everyone! 
All-star
All-star

Hi,

I just wanted to, finally, take a minute to introduce myself. I am Erin Painter and I have been Dr. Turner's graduate assistant for three semesters. Occasionally, I will teach classes for Dr. Turner and make comments on the discussion board, and I keep track of the number of posts you guys add every week.

I will be graduating this summer with my Master's degree in Library Science. I graduated from ASU in 2004 with a degree in Elementary Education, and then I taught fourth grade for three years before coming back up the mountain for grad school.

I hate that I haven't been able to come to your classes this semester, but I am trying to complete two 145 hour internships before May and my time is very limited. Right now I am finishing up my first internship at Blowing Rock School and soon I will start my internship at the Watauga County Public Library.

I wanted to post here to let you know who I am and what I am doing because I am going to be teaching for Dr. Turner next week. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you in person then!

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

hey! I really enjoyed your introduction to banned books. I have never taken a class on banned books so I found it to be really interesting and eye opening. Thank you for taking the time to come and talk to the class!

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thank you so much for coming to talk to our class. It is very interesting to see what books are banned and why they are. Some reasons I find ridiculous and some legit, but as teachers we need to be understanding of all of these reasons. Thank you for getting us to start a discussion and think about these issues because it is something we will encounter.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thank-you for coming and teaching the class for a couple of days. IT was very interesting! I learned a lot about books that i didn't even consider would be banned! Also like you had said during class, when i looked at the list i picked out quite a few books that sparked my interest so i have been reading them lately. All they are doing by banning these books are getting more people to read them. Thanks again, i had a lot of fun!

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am really glad you came to speak to us. I have never been in a class that discussed banned books nor heard of all of the banned books that are out there. It really opened me eyes! Thank you for speaking to us!

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:15 am
All-star
All-star

Thanks for visiting our class. It was very interesting for me to see all the books that have been banned. I am a high school math major and we do not get exposed to things such as banned books. I found it very interesting from the perspective of a student and a teacher at the books that have been banned.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also really enjoyed the discussions we had about banned books and other materials. This was the second time I have discussed this topic in a class, and it always fascinates me to see what materials are considered to be so controversial by other people. It is amazing that people would take books, especially fictional ones, so personally and not give their children a chance to read and decipher right and wrong on their own. I was also glad that you tried to include all school subjects into the conversation. The arts can be just as controversial as books!

Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:53 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought you did an awesome job with our class. I enjoyed learning more about banned books, and I’m always up for an opportunity to talk about Harry Potter. Banned books are a fascinating discussion topic and you certainly know your stuff. It’s amazing how many wonderful pieces of literature are being made forbidden to young readers. As an Elementary Education major I realize I can’t be quite as liberal with what I allow my students to read, but I certainly want to do my best to expose them to all great books, regardless of their status on the latest banned list…while keeping it appropriate of course! Thanks again!

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:53 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Sorry this is probably a little late but thanks for coming to our class that week! I had no idea some of the books that were banned in libraries and I feel that a lot of the choices are a little ridiculous. But thanks again for coming and good luck on the rest of your internship!

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I enjoyed class. Thank you for coming. Banned books really do not affect my subject, but I still teach very controversial subjects. It was an eye opener considering that I read a lot of those book in school.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:03 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also enjoyed the introduction on banned books. Last semester I took a class called "World Literature for Children" and in this class we also discussed banned books and why they were banned. However, I never knew that some of the books you mentioned were banned. I was quite amazed. The discussions you posed for the class seemed to keep the class quite intrigued, and I really enjoyed every bit of it. It really made me think about what books I would want to soon teach, and if they would be appropriate, and what types of activities that could go along with those books. You really got me thinking! Thanks for sharing with us!

Hope Johnson

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Your lesson on banned books was great! I am an english major and this is a touchy issue for me. While I can see the issues with certain books, there are certain books that have no right being on the banned book list such as To Kill A Mockingbird and Huck Finn. Thank you for coming and teaching us! It was great to meet you!

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:23 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed your lesson on banned books. It was very eye opening and shocking! Looking on the list of the top banned books was mind blowing. My own personal opinion is that no book should be banned. If it has something bad in it leave it to the people to make up their minds about it. I believe if children are reading then thats a good things, even if they are reading a banned book. I believe the teacher should take the time to discuss the book and make sure that kids know reality from fantasy. But other than that I will encourage my students to read whatever they want.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:05 pm
All-star
All-star

Thanks everyone! I really had fun talking with all of you about this! Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Feel free to email me at painterem@appstate.edu

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:44 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You did such a great job! I really enjoyed the banned books. It was really fun grouping with the arts people and talking about these issues. We haven't gotten a chance to talk to the other people in our majors, so that was really fun.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:15 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 15 posts ]