View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:14 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Boys and Girl seperate in classrooms? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The other day I was watching the news and they were talking about how public schools are now offering all boys or all girl classroom. They think that it will help them learn or more because they are on differnt levels. So, I have to two questions would you be willing to teach one of these classes and how do you feel about this?

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do not think that it is right to split up boys and girls for learning. I think that just like any peer that the opposite sex help us learn and may give us a perspective that we couldn't see before. I also think that to do this it will tremendously hender a child's social life. The one pro that I could see from this would be the difference in learning. Boys and girls both learn differently and if a teacher could key into this and just teach to that sex it could maybe help them learn better than having to use so many multiple learning styles. I don't know this is a very controversial issue and I could see both pros and cons for this issue. What does everyone else think?

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One thing this could bring it would be the whole topic of "social learning". How much to student really learn from the lessons that are being taught and how much they learn from interactions with other students and gaining the real world experiences. If the classrooms are split by sex then there are many things that won't come up in regular class. The students will not be exposed to a different way of thinking and could in turn be secluded into never thinking outside of their comfort zone. When a student can get out of the place they are comfortable is when they are challenged. When they are challenged is when they learn new things, be it concepts or facts. Having the differences in sexes in the regular classroom allows the students and the teachers to play off of these to creating a learning experience that will expose the students to new things and also allow them to bring them out of their normal comfort zone so they will learn not just memorize.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:55 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

For some reason I have mixed emotions about this topic and I could really see both points of view because while on one hand you are keeping boys and girls separate it is taking away from them learning about each other and learning together and I feel that boys and girls have a lot to teach each other and it is good to get them to interact at a young age. However I also see how this could be a good thing because it keeps the competition down among boys and girls and it helps teacher to focus on how each sex learns the best and it can focus on more of what girls like for the girls and more of what the boys like for the boys. We all know that boys and girls learn differently so in that way I see how it could be good. I really do not know which way is the right way or if there is a right way in this case, I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens and then go from there.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would definitely teach an all boys or all girls’ class, if that is what the school insist I do. I am going to be in the school to teach my students how to live a healthy and active lifestyle, no matter what the gender of my class might be. This does not mean that I would encourage having same sex classrooms. As I said in an earlier post, being part of co-ed classrooms prepares them more for the real world. Same sex education heightens gender based education limitations and discrimination in the classroom. In the physical education setting co-ed classrooms are more likely to be fully engaged in activity and become more physically fit. This is due to both male and female students wanting to impress the opposite sex. There is no proof that same sex education is better than co-ed, or vice-versa.

Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think girls and boys should be split up into different classes. Boys and girls may be on different levels, but even in an all girls class or an all boys class there are still going to be different levels. I think students need to interact with one another and with the opposite gender. Boys and girls do have different learning styles, but I think if you are trying to teach every student, you can find ways to include all learning styles. I think there is a benefit from having co-ed classrooms, but if the school I was working at chose to have girls and boys split, I would continue to do my job and teach them to the best of my ability.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I would not teach a class like this unless I was teaching in an all girls private school. I know there is a successful all girl school in Asheville, but I do not see myself teaching there. I personally do not feel that separating boys and girls in the public school classroom because of the ability gap is a wise choice. No matter if you have all boys and girls or not you are always going to have children on different ability levels. If you were going to split up because of ability, wouldn’t you have to split of children of different races to? I believe if you split up boys and girls as well as kids of different races this doesn’t teach children to be accepting others because of the way they look and achieve academically.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:37 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]