View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:59 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 male vs. female 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What do you think the differences between male and female are? Do you think classes should be separated male/female if some males may learn like females and females may learn like males?

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:52 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do not agree in seperating genders in classrooms. I think that male and females all individually learn differently. One male student might learn the exact same way as two females so seperating them would not be a good idea. I also think that boys and girls learn from each other. I think the biggest difference in male and females is the gender's "parts." I think that people, no matter what their hair looks like, body looks like or how they act should be treated equally and excepted as male and female and not judged.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:03 am
All-star
All-star

I also do not agree with separation of boys and girls in a learning environment. I think that boys and girls can learn from each other and that they will eventually have to work together so why not start in the schools. I also do not think that boys can be taught one way and girls another. I am a high school math teacher and constantly people are like wow, you don't see many girls doing math. But I just so happen to have a "problem solving" brain and thus people say I tend to learn like a boy. I would have hated if they put me in a class with all girls in high school and expected us all to learn the same. I think that is a ridiculous idea for some subjects. I do know that we learn differently, but I think it is essential to allow boys and girls to work together, learn together, and learn from each other.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So far its unanimous. I too agree that seperating males and females within the classroom is unhealthy for their social development. Not only is their social development effected, however, I believe that they are being sheltered from the variety of different learning capabilities. If males are taught in order to learn best for their learning style, then the famales are excluded from the opportunity of even being exposed to multiple types of learning styles. The same goes for females being excluded from the learning styles of males. In my opinion its best for both sexes to be exposed to the different behaviors, learning styles, ove sociological and psychological needs, as well as different communication styles. Seperating them would be a huge mistake for their future and our future society. Anyway thats my 2 cents!

Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think that classrooms should be separated. I think that having both sexes in the classroom is part of the learning experience for students. We don't need to seclude kids.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:33 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to tell you that I love you ladies, but I think that I would loose my mind if I had to grow up in just a class full of girls. Think about how curious the teens would be since they were not openly introduce to the opposite sex on a day to day basis. Yikes! I can see how it would have some benefits, but I really wouldn't want it as a teen.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:00 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also do not think that the classrom should be separated based on gender. As I said in an earlier post, being part of co-ed classrooms prepares them more for the real world. Same sex education heightens gender based education limitations and discrimination in the classroom. In the physical education setting co-ed classrooms are more likely to be fully engaged in activity and become more physically fit. This is due to both male and female students wanting to impress the opposite sex. There is no proof that same sex education is better than co-ed, or vice-versa.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think they shouldn't be seperated. I don't think I believe that girls and guys learn differently. I think that as long as you give the student the time then they'll gain something from it.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do not agree with separating the two sexes. Is there even a big enough benefit from it to actually do it??

Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that students of both sexes should share a classroom. Only in extreme cases can this work. I intern in a high school and this happens, but this is only because the students are at high risk for drop out and have other social issues. They still come together in a class setting once a week or for other group activities.

I feel that students in public education need to be exposed to members of the opposite sex as it does teach diversity, and somewhat lessens the curiosity. Girls need to know how boys behave and vice versa. Also it creates a healthy competitive environment when needed for academics!!

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definately believe in boys and girls being in the classroom together. I think that boys and girls learn from each other and that it is important for them to grow up in the same environment and to know that they are equal. In my practicum classroom I have 10 boys and 10 girls. And, the other day the boys complained that the girls got to go first too much because the teacher will often say girls go back to your desk then boys. The teacher explained to them that it is often the nice thing to do, to let the lady go first. I thought this was a little much for kindergarteners but I am glad the teacher said that because I felt that it was a good lesson in manners.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think boys and girls should be in classes together, as well. It would be highly difficult to discern if separation of the genders would help or if it would under-socialize students. I am in favor of same-gender schools, but if we are talking about public schools, then no, I think they should be mixed-gender absolutely. It allows students to learn the proper way to interact with one another which is a very necessary skill for them to acquire early on.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I also believe boys and girls should be in classrooms together. It is important for them to learn from each other and it is also important to introuduce young students to diversity.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:34 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 13 posts ]