View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Hispanic Academic Achievement Gap 
All-star
All-star

As I was researching for a project for another class I came across this article.
http://pewhispanic.org/files/factsheets/7.2.pdf

It talks about the achievement gap between Hispanic youth and white youth. What do you guys think about this? How would you address this issue in your classroom and how would you help those kids struggling to meet the no child left behind standard?

Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:43 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am glad you brought this up. I actually just finished reading an article about Hispanic children and how they are struggling in math class. The article gave a few points to help Hispanic children succeed. Some of the points that are mentioned are as follows:

Since there is sometimes a language barrier make sure you don't just lecture in your classroom. Have transparencies or notes for the child to read while you are talking. Especially when English is their second language it is really hard for them to understand everything you are saying. They do not always know where words start and other words begin, but if they can read it while you are talking they will understand it better.

Another thing you can try to help reinforce mathematical vocabulary is to repeat the same word over and over. You do not want to sound redundant but you do want to get your point across and make sure they understand what the word means. For example if you are trying to teach them the word congruent make sure you say that word every chance you get and do not use another word in place of it until they understand the meaning of the first one.

Finally, do not treat them any differently treat them if they are just as capable as anyone else and you will be surprised what they can accomplish. This is where the self-fulfilling prophecy comes into play again if you treat them as if they can succeed then they will.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know if I have ever mentioned this in class, but my husband is from Mexico. One of the things that really bothers me is when people, especially teachers put all hispanic kids in the same category. I have been to Mexico numerous times and know first hand that only privileged children get to go to school (their parents have to pay LOTS of money for them to go to school). So when people immigrate here and are able to enroll their children in a quality school for FREE they take it very seriously because if they were in Mexico they would have to make their children work just to pay the bills. I am glad that the next generation of teachers is sensitive to the fact that the hispanic student is not dumb, but that there are very simple and obvious hurdles that need to jumped over for them to be successful students. Language is the biggest barrier, followed by the fact that most of these children's parents probably never went to school, and probably can't help them with homework. But the parents want to be involved and help their children succeed in school. I hope that every teachers understands and can imagine what it must be like to be in a foreign country where everyone is speaking a different language and you are expected to "get it" as quick as the students that are learning in their own language, and help the students in their class that are hispanic become successful learners.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:26 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]