View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Media and its corruption- Hope Johnson 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The video we watched in class today reminded me of a class I took during my undergrad degree, which was called Mass Communication. The video that my professor showed us was another documentary of how young children, especially young girls, reacted to advertisements based upon body image. We watched a staggering film of music videos and how the men in the music videos portrayed women as property, and pieces of meat. The video made it seem that women had to be this way, such as provacative and sexual, in order for the guys to like them. As children, espcially young girls, see these types of behaviors they automatically assume that these are ways to effectivly get guys to like them. Which is SO VERY WRONG. It was really a staggering video, and I wish I knew where my professor got it, for it is really something to watch.

It is just overwhelming how young girls fall into false ideals about like and sexuality, when in reality it might as well be a DRUG.

Hope Johnson

Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

YES! From the time I was a little girl of about 10 until now I have had such self esteem and self image issues. Society says this is what girls are supposed to look like in order to be beautiful and successful. It is so sad. Little girls see this and it effects them. It effects high school girls in such a strong way also. My friend from high school started doing weight watchers and dropped 30 pounds in 3 months and then things got out of control. She was taking laxatives after her meals, she was eating and then running and then throwing up. She was so thin by the time it was all over and I was so worried about her. She is finally back to her "normal" self again but it took counseling and she still suffers from bouts of depression. Society showed her what she should look like and she got obsessed with it. It is such a sad world.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:21 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree with what ya'll are saying. I have babysat for a long time and it is so amazing to me how "teenager" attitudes about self-image start so young in little girls. I have actually heard some little girls (younger than 12) say the words "I am fat" and it kills me. Little girls should not be walking around with those kinds of thoughts in their heads. I grew up playing dress up with makeup, painting my nails, and I danced a lot, which little girls where a lot of makeup when the dance. However, my mom made sure that I knew it was a costume and that girls do not need makeup to be beautiful. I have heard of people talking about how little girls should not be allowed to play with makeup and nail polish because of what they might think of it as far as self-image issues, but I think that girls should be allowed to be girls and it is up to us (role-models) to make sure they know that everyone is beautiful in their own skin. With saying that, I believe that it is male role models' responsibilities to make sure that little boys do not grow up thinking of women in a certain way either. I believe that little kids learn from grown ups and what they see around them and it is our job to teach them and lead them in the right direction.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:39 pm
All-star
All-star

It is very sad how desparate people are to look a certain way because of media. I did not wear makeup until high school, but you can walk into a 6th grade classroom now and all girls are wearing makeup! It is also ridiculous the way young girls are dressing these days. How can we expect people to not want to look a certain way when young girls are watching shows like Americas Next Top Model? Aspiring models on this show are beautiful but young girls are seeing how Tyra and the other judges criticize them.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree with what everyone is saying. It is so sad to see how the media has such a negative affect on people. We look at this kind of stuff in multiple of my classes. This doesn't just affect young girls either, we took a close look at how boys are affected by it. Obviously, this probably takes more of a toll on young girls rather than boys, but I think it is important that we keep in mind both. It is so hard not to be influenced by it though because it is everywhere we look! TV, movies, magazines, billboards, and the list goes on! One thing that I really like is if you go to Dove campaign for real beauty they have really good short videos that promote a good message for young girls. It is definitely worth checking out!

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It really is unfortunate to see all of these young girls falling into a trap of needing to be like the media's portrayal. It amazes me to see young middle and high school girls at my church get so caught up in makeup and clothes and weight. There are so many more things in life to worry about at that age than these issues. And what breaks my heart even more is when these same girls pass on these feelings to their younger sisters. I will never forget the day that a four-year-old girl at our church walked in one morning with eye shadow and eyeliner on, along with blush and everything. She was so proud that her older sister did this for her, she truly thought that the makeup was what made her so beautiful. My mom has always told me that makeup should not be noticeable and that I need to bring out my natural beauty. I still don't wear makeup simply because I don't like bothering with it. Yet the media is pouring all of these skin-deep perceptions into the minds of young girls everywhere.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is sad! Young girls are not only bombarded by what they see on TV, but also by their toys! Has anyone ever seen a Bratz Doll? I read on article on this doll and the effects it has on little girls. These dolls are marketed to little girls and one of their ad campgains was this:

"Deck out and step out for a party in the streets, as you spend the weekend with the girls in the city that never sleeps, Las Vegas!"

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:20 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]