View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Dove beauty video... 
All-star
All-star

Thursday's class was a very interesting and it's sad to think young girls even in elementary school suffer from low self esteem. Watching the video made me realize how self esteem issues always have been and always will be a struggle for girls and women of all ages.

This is one of many videos dove displays on their website.
I encourage everyone to check out this video and many others! This video shows the transformation of a ordinary women transformed into a gorgeous women on a billboard with the help of make-up and photoshop.

http://www.dove.us/#/features/videos/default.aspx[cp-documentid=7049579

Enjoy!!

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thank you so much for posting this video, Christin. I think that would be really great to show our students during units related to the media and self-esteem. How can anyone be expected to live up to the standards of women that don't even exist? I'm sure they do this to men too. Also, I just wanted to comment quickly on how awesome I think the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty is. I'm glad that at least one company has to decided to show that anyone of any size can be beautiful. We need more companies doing things like this.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As you know, I love this video too, Christin! I'm glad you introduced me to it. I think it has a wonderful message, but it's such a sad reality. It's really upsetting how media is affecting young girls. I never had serious self-esteem issues in elementary or middle school, but I realize that now girls as young as 8 and 9 years old are struggling with their body image. I'm not sure how we can overcome all the messages and ideas that girls are getting about society's definition of beauty. But as teachers, we can do all we can to encourage high self esteem in our students by always being supportive and giving sincere compliments.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I absolutely love Dove's beauty campaigns. I remember they had the commercials where they had different women with different body types in their underwear and it was celebrating individual beauty. I think Dove is doing a great job in celebrating individual beauty. I wish that more companies would start doing the same thing. In my health class a few semesters ago, my professor passed around a poster that had all kinds of different athletes on it and it was showing how all their bodies was so different. The point of it was to show kids that different people have different bodies, even athletes. One of my really good friends has very low self esteem and anytime we go somewhere she really really worries about what she is going to wear and what people will think of it. We went to Disney World together and on some of the rides they take your picture. She was even so worried about how we were portrayed in the pictures. I really hope that the media will turn around, even though I know it probably won't. I hope that when I am teaching I will be able to change a lot of children's ideas about people and their looks.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Oh yay. I was referencing their videos earlier in one of my posts. Thank you for posting this. I absolutely love their campaign. I think they are doing great work and their videos are very encouraging! I wish every girl could watch this. I can remember one incident that happened when I worked at a daycare over the summer. We took our class to the pool, and a girl who was by no means overweight stayed wrapped up in her towel because she thought her butt was too big to be seen in a swimming suit. Witnessing this broke my heart. I did my best to tell her otherwise, but she had her mind set already. I think every girl at some point or another will struggle with this issue. When I become a teacher I hope that my classroom is very open and that we celebrate and appreciate everybody's differences in the classroom, and where everyone can love themselves.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's so sad that this is happening. I'm really glad that dove is doing stuff like this so that girls do not suffer anymore.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As I recall, I remember seeing lots of these dove commercials on TV and I remember thinking how proud I was of Dove to be doing a commercial based on ACTUALITY!!!!!!! I love that they stress that beauty isn't a size 2, perfect figures, perfect hair, perfect lips etc etc... I truely wish that all commercial campaigners would take a hint. When girls see commercials such as these its without a doubt that their self esteems hit the roof. To know that beauty isnt our ideal "perfectness," or that better yet, "perfect" come in MANY colors, shapes, and sizes! I love these commercials, and I think it would be beneficial to show these commercials to adolesences as they study the body immage and the effects that television has on the minds of young girls and boys!

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

wow that was really intense. The media gives girls such a distorted idea of beauty and it makes me sick. This video is so great...it make me tear up a little! It is such a shame that little girls find themselves struggling with their image because of billboards or magazine ads when in reality absolutely no one looks that perfect. God created each one of us in His image and in His own way and we are perfect because of that. If we all strive to be this billboard girl then we are giving up our individuality.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:39 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is so great what Dove is trying to do with their Campaign for Real Beauty. It is honestly about time someone started to do something. But I think it is going to be years and years and a lot more influential people and companies coming together before any large progress is made with this issue. Body image is something that is so ingrained in our lives now and young girls are dieting in kindergarten. If it's starting so young, how is anyone ever going to be able to stop it. Every one of us as teachers are going to have to deal with young girls and ladies and sometimes guys too with terrible body images. We'll have to deal with students who have eating disorders. It's important as educators, since we have some power and a little bit of influence in the lives of our students, that we perpetuate how it's inner beauty and brains that matter the most. Thank you for posting that link!!

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:30 pm
All-star
All-star

Dove has some great videos! There is no such thing as the perfect body, face, etc. It's all just fantasy. I liked the talk to your daughter before the beauty industry does. That's a real eye opener! They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the truth is, lots of "beholders" are pretty sick.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was in shock to learn that for an average photo taken in a magazine, they could have taken almost 5 different body parts from different people to create the perfect body. I'm not gonna lie, I have looked at these magazines and have asked myself why the hell I can't look like that but now it's a little more comforting.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:15 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]