View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Physical Education? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As some of you may know I am a physical education major. I feel that physical education is a very important component in any school’s curriculum. Now days more and more children are obese and are also have very unhealthy eating habits. The main goal for all physical educators should be to promote healthy eating habits and inspire all students to live an active lifestyle. It has been proven that 30 minutes of physical activity a day will help your students to focus better and ultimately receive better grades. I realize that some students growing up in the past have felt singled out and hated PE class; however now physical educators are being taught many strategies to include each and every child without embarrassing or singling them out. Making modifications to make the task easier for individual children or using learning cues to break down each skill are good examples for each of these strategies. This forms a positive environment for all children no matter what their skill level or ability might be. Some schools have talked about doing away with physical education all together or cutting it to one day a week. This is mainly because principals feel that it takes away time from student’s education, such as courses that have end of grade testing. These principals obviously do not care about their student’s health and well being, in my opinion. Which takes me to my question, how do the rest of you feel about physical education being taken out of schools? Should it be a requirement or be forgotten?

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree with you, Brad. Physical education is a very important part of a child's education. It is learning that can cause lifelong healthy habits. It doesn't matter what other education you get if you can't move or even live to use it. Obesity is a huge problem in our nation, especially with our youth. We owe it to our students to provide them with physical education. Many of the kids today get their only physical activity in these classes. Plus, in addition to obesity, what about all of the issues with attention disorders? Why is no one considering that maybe if we actually let the kids move around they would be able to pay attention better and not get into as much "trouble"? These principals that are thinking of cutting P.E. need to majorly reconsider in my opinion.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I wrote about PE being taken out of schools on my student teaching application under the section of things our educational system is getting wrong. Physical activity has a huge impact on student's ability to learn and helps to improve or maintain student's scores on standardized tests. Research says that sacrificing physical activity for extra instructional time doesn't improve academic performance. In my practicum classroom right now, students get 35 minutes of recess every day; however, the time set aside for recess is expendable. I know PE and recess are different but I'm talking about any form of physical activity. For instance, DARE took place during recess and the students missed out on recess for several days. If schools want to make students become lifelong learners, then they need to teach students habits that will transition into the real word, i.e. physical activity and eating healthy.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Honestly, I use to hate PE and I use to wish that I never had it, but recently I went back to observe a PE classroom and found that there was a new cyber game that really got PE in my favor again. I forgot what it was called, but it was a program where someone on the screen told the kids what to do while the PE teacher got a chance to go around and have some time alone coaching the kids one on one. The would have kung fu, kick boxing, jump roping etc...numerous activities. This gave the teacher a chance to to give the kids more attention and the kids get so involved in the activity because they're looking up the whole time that they don't not have time to tease one another....PE should definately stay in schools if they continue to have these kinds of activities.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also feel that physical education is essential to staying in school. And, I dont think PE should just be left to the PE teachers, I feel that classroom teachers should take it upon themselves to try and integrate movement and PE into the curriculum. I am doing a movement acitivity with my kindergarteners next week during a math lesson. I am having them practice with patterns through movement. I also feel that most kids learn by doing and therefore teachers should incorporate some kind of movement into their lessons each day.
I observed a PE class a while back and felt that PE classes should have longer than 30 or 45 min with the kids. I felt that by the time they got in there and found out what they were doing it was time to leave. I wish that PE would be extended some since they only have it once a week anyways.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

PE is SO important for students. It gives them an outlet for the energy. Kids have to sit in a classroom all day long and do all this stuff on end of grade testing (which I think is overrated) and they don't hardly get a break at all. PE is a great chance for them to get exercise as well. As Brad was saying, there are so many kids in America who are obese and it is because their parents let them eat what they want and they don't have any form of exercise. If PE is completely cut from the classroom that will only rob the kids of something that is very important to their health. While getting a good education is important kids should be educated on health issues from an early age. I think some people need to get their priorities straight. Education is most certainly not the most important thing in life!

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've always loved PE and participating in sports. I know that is certainly not true of all students, however. Be that as it may, PE is something that I feel like is as important to students in school (of all ages) as math class. I think it is crucial to continue students in PE and health classes in hopes that they will have healthier, better lives. I can't believe that PE is being taken out of some school systems! That blows my mind. If students do not get some sort of physical activity at school, they definitely won't get it at home where there probably isn't anyone there to force them out of in front of the television or computer and outside. I think it's awful that we don't force kids to have PE all through their school career each year. It's just so important. [/i]

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There are so many reasons why PE needs to stay in schools. In a society where many people are overweight, it may be the only time of day when some students get physical activity. It is also a chance for teachers to educate students on proper ways to take care of their bodies and their health. Most importantly, it allows the students to release all of the energy that has been building up while they have been sitting at desks. I also agree that regular classroom teachers can engage the children in physical activities. There are plenty of educational games that involve moving and physical work. I find it frustrating that educators would argue against PE. We are conditioning our students for stressful lives in the future if all we stress to them is studying and tests and achievement. This is all important, but a kid needs some time to have fun and release some energy sometimes.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am personally excited about teaching so that i CAN applly physical activities into the cirriculum. I know so many kenesthetic learners that would have done much better in school had they had the opportunity to move around as they learn. Taking the kids outside every chance I get is my goal. Having them move around the classroom, and integrate "Energizer" activities into learning is what I am most excited about. For those of you who do not know, "Energizers" are a ways of incorporating movement into your daily teaching activites. It gets the kids up out of their seats and moving around as they do their daily lessons. Its a great resource! Anyway, physical education is dire for young children, and like others have mentioned, I believe that I would not only help decrease the amount of obese children in our classroom, and throughout the nation, but it will also help eliminate some of the "attention disorders" that some people claim children have. However, in my opinion this is just their way of saying, " LET ME GET UP AND EXCERSISE!" Anyway, thats my 2 cents!

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:16 am
All-star
All-star

Physical Education is a HUGE importance in our schools today. If physical education and health is taken out of our schools, we are just creating a larger mess. Without people being educated about the right foods to eat or about different ways to exercise, our health care system is going to be in big trouble when they are treating millions of people for things that could be prevented. I believe it is imperative to keep PE in our schools because when children learn the importance of exercise and eating healthy, they can pass this on to their parents, as well as keep it with them for the most of their lives.
In middle school, I remember doing stations of different stretches and muscle strengthening activities. Everyone hated doing them, but now I look back, I feel as though we learned skills that we can keep with us the rest of our lives.
Finally, one of my major complaints is that in high school, we were only required to take one semester of PE during our high school career. I played sports in high school, so this wasn't a big deal for me, but what about the students who didn't do any physical activity because it wasn't required? Their bodies were still growing but no activity? I hope one day we can exceed the high school requirement to one semester every year of your high school career.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:54 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think taking classes like PE, music, and art out of the schools is doing a big disservice to the students. Your right, there are hard facts that prove that children need to run around and get energy out. Why would anyone want kids worming and squirming and being disruptive in class because they aren't allowed to go to PE or have recess. I think if cuts need to be made they should first be made in positions that don't effect the students, like administrative or central office positions rather than cutting out classes like PE, music, and art!

Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My mom is a PE teacher and she can't stress enough how important it is. I think a lot of the reasons some kids hate PE is because a lot of PE teachers are awful. My mom works with one that is. All he does is send the students out to the track to run and walk it until time is up...this is an elementary school btw. When I go home and am out with my mom and she sees her students, they are so so so excited to see her and their parents thank my mom for making such a wonderful PE program for the students. Children today are the heaviest they have ever been and I think that taking away PE is an awful idea.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:44 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]