View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 The laramie project 
All-star
All-star

I wanted to comment on this topic since we didn't get to spend much time discussing it during class. What did ya'll think of this? do you think it should be a play in school? high school? middle school? I haven't ever heard of this until today. I was thinking that it would be a play that could be used dependent on the community that you live in. If it is a very conservative community, then the community may cause so much chaos that it could be destructive to the school. Such as if half the school went against the other half of the school and then the gay population was left in the middle. Then what would you do as a teacher? I don't think I have concluded what i feel about this being a play, but only because I have never seen or heard the entire story. Just wanted to hear what you all thought!

Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would like to see more of the movie we started in class today. I think it's fascinating the way they approached the issue. As far as performing the play in schools, it's a touchy situation. I personally think elementary level children are too young to get involved with such a daunting issue. Perhaps in certain cases middle school students could handle it. However, high school is probably the earliest I think a play like this could be introduced. Not to mention, I'm sure at most any school interested in performing this play is going to face its fair share of controversy. I think it's an issue that should be addressed and should not be ignored. On the other hand, there are a lot of risks involved when dealing with unwilling parents or administrators.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:27 pm
All-star
All-star

I enjoyed the layout of the movie clip we watched about the Laramie Project. I felt like it would be a great way to introduce the thought of talking about the issue. Our group talked about whether or not they could perform the play would depend on the community and the group of kids. Personally, I am from a very liberal city and this type of thing would be accepted in many schools in my area. There are also schools in rural areas that wouldn't accept such kind of performances. I also believe it would depend on the maturity levels of the students. I feel as though some middle school students could handle a mature topic while others could not. I do not think this kind of publicity should be displayed in an elementary school. I feel as though these students are not mature enough to handle a such mature topic.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would definitely be interested in seeing the rest of the film. i think it is an important topic to cover and is something that shouldn't be ignored.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:00 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]