View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Quality Education 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Do you feel that you are being fully prepared to leave college and enter the classroom comfortably? Can you handle situations that are going to arise with parents, faculty and administration? Do you feel confident in handling uncomfortable situations with students?

What my concern is, we are being taught many things to be prepared academically in the classroom, but what do we do when we find out that Little Johnny is being abused or that he beat up Susie last night and she is now pregnant at 12 or 14? What can we do, do we do, as teachers in this situation?

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my block classes I'm learning about incorporating technology into subjects and using resources that cover many subjects at once. What I'm learning in block doesn't correspond in my practicum classroom. Students are doing worksheets and I haven't seen a computer or interactive website used in teaching at all. Things might be different in a bigger, more metropolis county but around here in the mountains, technology is lagging. I had a smart board in my classroom in the 8th grade like 8 years ago and I think there is only 1 in the entire school I'm interning at. We are also learning about multicultral education and it's not something that is being taught in my practicum classroom either.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely feel that this year has prepared me better than any other. I wish that as an English Secondary Ed. major we didn't have to take so many upper level literature classes so that we could have more time for pedagogy type classes. I love my English classes, but I feel like I have just had to take way too many literature courses and they took up so much of my time that I did not have enough time to take classes like this. However, I have gained some great content knowledge which is important too, so I guess I'm pretty happy. I think that as a high school teacher I will have to deal with some issues (teen pregnancy, etc.) and I want to draw certain barriers with my students, but I want to be there for them as well. I feel like there is a fine line there.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I always have a lot of fears about whether or not I am being fully prepared for real-life teaching. Of course, I don't think one can be fully prepared until they are immersed in it and therefore I'll have to wait to know. But I am really scared that I won't be good enough or when I finally do get a teaching job that I won't have enough to teach students. I hope this is a common feeling because I really feel as if teaching, although sometimes looked down on by others, is a huge undertaking. Educating students and, in turn, preparing them for life is something big and I am fearful that I won't have enough for them.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that I am just about as fully prepared as I can be to teach a physical education class in any public school. Though I do believe that there might be certain situations or predicaments we find ourselves in that we might not know how to react to. In this instance I plan to talk with an older and more experienced teacher, so that they can voice their opinion about the situation and hopefully resolve the conflict or situation in a professional manner. I am sure that each of us have concerns about actually becoming a teacher, but I feel that experience is the best teacher.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a simple response to Martha's question: no. Granted I still have two semesters to go here at ASU, I am concerned that I won't be fully prepared to be completely in charge of an entire classroom of children. It's not that the things I'm doing my classes now seems totally irrelevant, but I do find myself wondering more times than not, "how is this going to help me be a better teacher?"

Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:47 pm
All-star
All-star

I am going to someday be an elementary school teacher and I feel as though I am more prepared going into a classroom now then I would be without college, but I feel as though the best experience will take place when I have my own classroom. I wish we had a class on classroom management and special education. Classroom management, (so I hear) will either make or break you as a teacher. It's nice to be able to talk about different situations in my classes, but it would be nice to actually have a course on classroom management. Also, since inclusion in North Carolina is very typical, I feel as though we should have a class on how to evaluate an IEP or how to accommodate these students and make them and my other students feel comfortable and accepted in my classroom

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:00 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is something that I have been struggling with since starting Block. I understand the necessity of teaching educators so that we can be better educators for our future students. I understand that we need to learn the theories and strategies and everything else they give us so that we have a basis to start with when we actually get in the classroom. There's definite merit to what we're doing here at Appalachian and in the classes we have to take (ex. CI 2800, Block I, Block II, etc.). However, I have found that the majority of my learning (in terms of being a better teacher, being an educator in general) has been done in the classrooms we have been working in for our field experience, and even in the one's I've volunteered in other semesters. I don't know how prepared I would be if my last 2 semesters of school were simply lecture and block type classes. And honestly, I'm not sure how one semester of student teaching is really the best route because I have heard from every educator who I have come across that the real education begins when you are in charge of your own classroom. So, hopefully with Block II and just by student teaching, I will feel prepared enough to teach on my own and I will get more out of education by actually doing it. But I also think that we spend too much time learning washed up theories and ideas rather than things like classroom management or ways to deal with and handle real life situations outside of just teaching academics.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As of right now I don't feel like I am prepared to start teaching. All the new teachers that I have ever talked to said it was nothing like what they teach you in school. I think you get prepared after you are in the classroom for awhile and you can start to really see how things work. Plus year after year you can change, modify, and adapt things after trying them to make them work better. So in short, I think being prepared comes has a huge correlation with how long you have been in the classroom.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:13 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]