View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Media at School 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This sort of goes along with The Laramie Project of course, but what I was wondering was if you all felt like getting a media circus involved at any level of public school was ever a good idea. Children whose parents completely disagree with what the school is up to would probably come in and harass others who were for it and if it were to be something fantastic that happened and many media personnel were around, I still feel like kids who were not getting much attention may indeed lash out. Personally I feel like the media should not really get involved at schools over controversial issues because of the general public feelings and how it could split the community. I am not saying that schools shouldn't bring controversial issues to light, actually I am for that 100% if they feel like it won't cause too much trouble for their students, but what do you think of media at school? Too much trouble for the students?

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If it wasn't for actions that bring on media circus where would we be as a society? Is anything ever too much trouble if it brings about a change for the better or more accepting. Events in civil rights, events in GLBTQ rights that are still in the works, Women liberation, and many more issues that are still in progress.

Communities are already split and separated history shows that when things like this happen there are two outcomes. It will end up bringing others together as well as your own community or it brings up more emotions and controversy which will in turn bring about many other issues. Issues bring out teaching moments and allows for the education not only of your class but your community. How is this really a bad thing?

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:07 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]