View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 GLBTQ Discussion 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Did the open discussion with the students help you understand how to help or identify with GLBTQ community? How will you use this information in your classroom and will you help to break the barrier of discrimination?

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:54 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really think that this discussion was helpful. I had hoped that some teachers in high school would be supportive for the kids and be there for them when they needed it. I have always been accepting of people no matter their race, religion, sexual orientation, or gender and I hope that I can let my students know that I am there for them to talk to, to provide a safe environment, and be supportive when they need it. In talking with the panel they gave me a few ideas of how I might be able to communicate with my students that it is okay to come to me. And how important it is for at least one person to let them know that it will all be okay, and that there is a bigger world waiting for them outside of high school if they can just make it through. I am hoping to teach high school art. I had been debating on whether or not to include in my curriculum a variety of artists that are not your typical art history artists you see in the text books. Rather look at many other artists of a wide variety and many from the turn of the center that questioned their gender roles. I was debating about this because of how it would be perceived by students, parents, and administration...... but now, after the panel I am not debating anymore. I will include art history that is not in the textbook and allow my students to see that people, no matter what their gender, sexual preference, race, etc are important just to know that it might make one kid feel that everything will be okay.

I'm glad we had the panel today.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:10 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]