View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Gender in Elem. School 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I wondered how the other elem. ed majors feel that we will have to deal with gender issues in the elem. school. I am sure that there will be issues and if not with the kids then with parents. But, I thought it was good today that one of the students on the panel said that elementary teachers should make sure to not force gender roles on kids at an early age. For example, not to tell girls that they will marry a husband one day because this might not be so. I feel this is also true with toys and stuff. We should make sure not to place fixed gender roles on boys and girls at an early age.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Tara.. The panel I went to they discussed the same issue. I was lucky enough to have experience with working with students in an after school program a few years ago ... they were all different ages in elementary school and I was able to see how they interacted with the different toys on the table. They had baby dolls and legos and other toys that have been targeted to be gender specific but I feel that all the teachers that I worked with made sure not to make a big deal of it if the boys wanted to play with the dolls or play house because they are in kindergarden and if you start to tell them things like you are not allowed to play with that because you are a boy they will be under the impression that they are doing something wrong. The girls always liked to play legos and I never thought anything was wrong with that or that legos were for boys only because I grew up with legos and I realized that was probably because I have two older brothers. I thought that was the norm until one of the students on the panel had said that the commericals only show boys playing with legos... that honestly shocked me! haha :shock:

Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree that gender roles shouldn't be forced on children. I hope as a teacher I can do my best to make my classroom a gender neutral environment. Boys shouldn't feel as though they can't play with dolls or kitchen sets, and girls should be encouraged to play with trucks and play tools if that's what they're interested in. I want children to be well rounded and knowledgeable in many areas. Kids should be able to make their own choices. They shouldn't be limited to certain interests based on whats most accepted by society.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:00 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not elementary ed but with having an eight year old daughter i can speak from other experiences. I try not to force steriotypes on my daughter and do get upset when others try to as well. If you look at the saying that all are created equal then they should all have every opportunity to discover things in their own way. She has dolls, fingernail paint, things like that but she also has many different sports items and we go camping when we get the chance. Basically what I am saying is that as teachers you should teach the student not their background or where they come from or what their gender is. This can be sometimes rather had to do and you need to make an effort to think about it when teaching.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:45 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]