View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 teaching about transgender in the classroom 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

On the panel one of the speakers brought up that we should incorporate important historical figures that were trans and gay into our teachings. I agree that these important people shouldn't be left out, but should we really teach about their sexual identity and preference? I can only imagine the controversies that would arise with parents. What are ya'lls thoughts?

Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:26 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that in the art department things are a little more relaxed than in other classrooms, but I have Included in my curriculum numerous artists to cover in art history that are either gay/lesbian or transgendered. If it was inappropriate to discuss people in history that weren't strictly heterosexual then I would have to leave out many of the great artists, including Goergia O'Keeffe. And how could I teach Roman art? Most every Roman man was involved in some type of homosexual activity. Few were very public with their love affairs with men, particularly Hadrian who set up monuments all over the empire for his lover after his tragic death. It is hard to ignore key figures history strictly because of their sexual orientation. And if confronted with this by the parents or administration I would say it just as I did above.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:29 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]