View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Picking on homosexuals 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I wasn't in the morning class to see the panel... I went to the afternoon class. They didn't talk about keeping a journal but they did talk about the teachers that they had. It amazed me to hear about how some of these teachers would ignore the situations when they saw the students being harassed about being gay or being in the closet. I know that some people say they don't agree with homosexuality but they wouldn't let that affect the way they treat students. But my question is.... would you get involved if the student was obviously being bullied? Why or why not?

Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If one of my students was obviously being bullied, I feel like I would have no choice but to get involved. No matter what the circumstance, students should respect one another, and bullying can't be tolerated at any level. In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether or not I agree with homosexuality. All of our students need to have a safe learning environment, and they must learn to respect each other.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would definitely get involved, no question about it. I want to promote tolerance, understanding, and respect in my classroom. I want my classroom to be a safe place for kids to explore and express themselves freely without fear. Bottom line..... disrespect will not be tolerated in my classroom.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:57 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If one of my students was being bullied I would most certainly get involved because for no reason should a child come to school to get bullied. I feel like school should be a safe place for children because some children do not have the best home life. I do not think that for whatever the reason a child should not be bullied whether teacher agrees with the issue or not.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Of course I would get involved. Not just with my students but with any student being picked on in general. I remember in high school we had a discussion in my theater class about a student who was constantly being picked on because of his homosexuality and what our opinions were about it. I remember people saying that "Well, that's high school. Stuff like that just happens and you can't really do anything about it." I was like, what a bunch of crap! Bullying is not cool, period! And yes you CAN do something about it whether you are a student, teacher, principal, etc. I'll just try not to get into a fight with the bully, haha.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If one of my students' learning experiences was being hindered by a bully, then I have a responsibility to get involved. I think, however, that we have swayed from the point of the original post. It is the responsibility of the teacher to make sure that ALL of his/her students are in a safe learning environment. Bullies should not be tolerated on any level, no matter what their reasoning is behind their harassment. I am wondering, however, how many people in our class would actually take the time to (and feel comfortable with) being that teacher which a scared and hurt student may turn to for help. As teachers, sometimes the most important and helpful thing we can do is to simply listen to our students.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There is no doubt in my mind that i would help the student. It is the teachers job to make sure everyone feels safe in school. I do not think that any bullying should ever be tolerated, we are all equals, and need to be treated as such.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:05 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I want my classroom to be a safe environment for all my students and if there is any bullying, I don't care what it's about, it won't be tolerated. It is unacceptable in my opinion for any teacher to sit by and allow students to pick on each other and isolate peers. We are becoming teachers to make a difference and this a huge part of that.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:27 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]