View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Cutting budgets & Hurting students' educations 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Recently in the news there has been a lot of talk about school systems having to send money back to the state, having to make budget cuts and cutting hundreds of jobs within a school system. I know that times are tough right now, but I personally think the last place they need to cuts jobs is in the classroom! Classes are overcrowded, schools are overflowing with students and these school systems want to cut teachers positions. Why not cut those high paying positions in the central office, that never come to the schools first? Or consolidate the counties that 2 or 3 systems into one large country system and get rid of two offices worth of people, and keep or even add the amount of teachers the schools really need. I was just wondering how everyone else felt about this situation, because it really bothers me.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is difficult to say which positions should be cut or consolidated or kept. Of course we don't want to cut the teaching positions, but the positions in central offices are pretty important too. I can see how combining school systems could help, except that would put a huge burden on one group of administrators. One solution that a city in Virginia near where I live is trying is to consolidate some of the schools in the city system. They have redrawn the lines that determine what elementary school students will attend so that they will go into 5 schools rather than 7. By closing two schools, the classroom sizes are getting a little bigger, but it's not as big as they had feared. They actually ended up accidentally drawing the lines in a way that got rid of one more school than originally planned. It is very unfortunate that they had to get rid of teaching positions in two whole schools, but some of these teachers will be transferred to the remaining schools. I hate knowing that such desperate measures are having to be taken in school systems all across the country.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that it is difficult to decide what part of the budgets should be cut. To me it is really sad to think that our economy is in such bad shape because as much tuition as we pay to go to college it is sad that the school does not even have enough money to let us make copies. So this brought up another question to me is where does all the money go that we pay for tuition?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to admit there are many teachers out there that do not need to be in the classroom, and others that are not looked at fairly and lose their jobs because they do not conform to the newest research out by somebody who says they know more about teaching then those doing the job. I have a friend who is teaching in a school where the principal thinks one particular researcher knows all there is to know and insists that their teachers follow everything the way this person says. It has the students sitting still reading independently for a large part of the day, not letting them up moving around, less time for recess and other activities. And then there are the "underachieving" schools that are having a lot of funding taken away because they are not making the scores on the EOGs. Where the ones that are performing well are getting extra money. To me this is backwards to the way it should be. With the economy and the ways society is currently the focus should be more on education instead of worrying with wars in other countries, or even anything else. Educate the society and they will be able to contribute much more to the society that will be able to sustain it self.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:37 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]