View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Young, Gay and Murdered 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When we were discussing Matthew Shepard last week, I thought of an article that my Diversity professor had our class read. I know some of you have read this article. Young, Gay and Murdered discussed the story of a young homosexual boy named Larry King who was brutally murdered at his school by a fellow classmate. It's hard to believe that people can have so much hatred for people they simply don't understand. Larry was only 14 years old. Children are 'coming out of the closet' at younger and younger ages. How as teachers are you going to be prepared to deal with homosexual students? How can we ensure their safety in our classrooms?

Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:55 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Maggie I am glad that you brought this up because this semester in my Block we also read this article and I believe that it does go right along with what we were talking about in class. I do believe that in today's society it is sad that this could happen to a 14 year old boy but the sad thing is is that it is happening at younger ages all the time because children are becoming more knowledgable to different things like this in society. All we can hope to o is help the children that we teach.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also read this article in Block this semester. I thought it was very interesting. In class we discussed both side of this young man's story. We discussed what HE was doing wrong as well as what the other teachers and children were doing wrong. This boy was stalking and harassing another peer of his. The boy was so humiliated and frustrated that he committed murder. A lot of things could have prevented this sad story. Teachers definitely need to pay attention to these sorts of problems that are happening in today's society and do everything they can to stop tragedies like this from happening.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:17 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]