View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Is our sex-ed program really working? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/family/blogpost/4913939/

According to this article parents can opt them out of sex-ed if they want to.
What do yall think of this idea?

Last time in class we talked about how the whole abstinence-until-marriage does not work and this may be a new choice for parents.

Is NC finally catching up with the other states?
Is comprehensive sex-ed the right answer?

Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that a lot of parents avoid the sex talk with their kids and hope that they will get the "right" information from sex education in school. But if schools are teaching abstinence but in a graduation class of 220, 13 girls are pregnant when they graduate. That doesn't count the girls that have already had a baby, or are participating in risky sexual behavior that could get them pregnant. Obviously, the abstinence approach isn't working too well. I think a factual, comprehensive sex education program would be beneficial. I also think that parents should have the option to not have their child participate in the class if they feel that they are better suited to inform their child about sex. Some parents will want to use the sex ed class as an ice breaker to get the conversation about sex started.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I completely agree with you, Mary. It gives parents a chance to opt out and talk to their child about sex in their own way and I think many parents will be pleased with adding on that option. But I do think contraceptive education is VITAL. At least they should know how to protect themselves. I absolutely cannot stand the abstinence-only program because, as you can see, that didn't work very well. Teenage pregnancy is extremely high. Many of the girls I graduated with got pregnant or are getting pregnant now and I doubt they planned for that to happen. If you tell a kid to NOT do something, they're going to do it anyway. It would be nice if there was no abstinence-only education altogether but that's just my opinion. For example...

"Don't have sex, because you will get pregnant...and die."

I'm sorry, I had to throw that quote in there!

Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that parents should have the option to talke to their own children about sex on their own time but I do think that it is beneficial for the children to hear about sex from administrators as well but I do not think that the schools should teach only about no sex until marriage because it does not work. I think that the schools should teach children about sex and ways to be safe because we all know it is going to happen and I think that if it is they should be prepared.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:00 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]