View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hope Johnson (What if?) 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What would you do if a male walked into your classroom with make up on? Would you ignore it or try to say something about it? To me it would be awkward both ways. If you were to ignore it, then you would be trying to teach with the issue on yoru mind. Or, your students may also be distracted from the male student wearing make up. On the other hand if you WERE to say something to that student, then you would be gender stereotypeing. What a pickle! This is why I am looking forward to teaching younger students in elementary school, so they are still moldable instead of stuck in their ways, and trying to make a bold statement in front of their peers such as this.

Hope Johnson

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:32 pm
All-star
All-star

If a male walked in my classroom with makeup on, as long as it wasn't too terribly distracting and he is still able to play his instrument, then I guess it's okay. I knew some people who were pretty crazy with piercings but it didn't seem to bother anybody. But even elementary students are wanting to act more "grown up" these days. Especially if they have those awful "pageant moms". Ugh! I can't stand those women! I have seen little girls no older than 5 or 6 wearing lots of makeup and wearing skimpy clothes that their PARENTS BUY FOR THEM! That's just sick. But yeah, that's my rant on that. Sorry about that.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would probably let it go. It would probably be a little distracting, but I would also be very distracted if a girl walked in wearing very heavy makeup. So as long as it isn't causing classroom problems, I would try to ignore it and let him express himself in this way. I would most likely only step in if I saw that he was being bullied by other guys in some way.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think i would think twice about it. In my high school i used to see this a lot. TO me it is not that big of a deal and as long as they are able to play their instrument i am happy. But if they were being teased by other students i would then step in, but otherwise to me this is not an issue.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:45 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]