View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 What would you do if... 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found today's class very interesting and I thought that it was very useful for future educators to know how to take on some of the issues that we discussed in class because honestly I would not know how to handle any of the topics that were brought up today. I was wondering if I am alone in being kind of scared about what the future holds and about issues that come up in the classroom that we may have never heard of. I hope that whenever I become a teacher that I can handle my class to the best of my ability but the unknown of what could happen really seems to scare me sometimes.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Not to scare you any more than you already are but I had a friend who was a retired teacher tell me once when I told him what I was going back to school for. He said "Just remember anything that can happen, anything that can be said by a student, will happen or will be said." There is no way to be prepared for every eventuality that will come up. The way to overcome this is know yourself, know your beliefs on certain topics, know where you stand on the issues (what ever they may be). Only in knowing yourself will you be able to react in the most appropriate way to any situation that comes up.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:26 pm
All-star
All-star

Yeah this class was really interesting. I just hope I don't have a kid who will jump out the window! That would be terrifying! I will try to be ready for whatever happens but I know nothing can truly prepare me for certain situations. Just remember that anything can happen and it is the teacher's responsibility of everything that goes on in that classroom. I remember in eight grade, our teacher was out of the room and one kid started beating up another kid. Luckily, he wasn't seriously injured and the other kid got a lot of crap for that. So yeah, be ready for anything!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Haha, I agree with Megan...I hope I never have a student that decides to jump out of the window! :D But yes, as teachers we need to have every possible trick up our sleeve to be pulled at any given moment. Children are spontaneous, and are usually not mature enough to thoroughly think things through before they act or say something. We must be able to keep control of all the students in our classroom while also dealing with individual problems...possibly even trying to keep one child from physically injuring another. It is a profession not for the light-hearted, and will definitely keep you on your toes!

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:20 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is true that even if we are the best teachers with the best classroom management, something will happen at some point in our career. Hopefully it won't be as drastic as jumping out of a window, but we have to be prepared for ANYTHING. As long as you have in mind now a way to handle certain situations, and you stick to it, you will be fine. It can be scary to hear horror stories about students causing trouble in class, but I think that we will leave school more prepared than we think we are...and the rest will come from experience!

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The unknown in my opinion is part of the reason i am going into education. I have heard stories from my mom all my life, and most funny. But i love the way children just act on a whim and this to me makes the job interesting. Everyday you go into class will be different. The children will be in a different mood, and will do something off the wall. I am excited about it, but still scared, because i want to handle the situations in the right way.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:01 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel, as teachers, we have on of the most unpredictable, difficult jobs. And for this reason, I am excited as well as definitely apprehensive about getting into the classroom. Anything can happen and all we can do is prepare ourselves the best we can. I will say that we are at the best school for that preparation.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:12 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]