View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Classroom flexibility 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In class today, our group was discussing the scenario in which a student peed into a trash can. For a minute, I was horrified that any person would use the bathroom in a trash can in anyone's classroom. Then I started thinking, what would possess that child to do something like that? Someone else brought up that they had seen that happen because a teacher wouldn't let her students use the bathroom, and the student in question had to go that badly. This brought up a lot of issues of flexibility within a classroom. So, my question is this: how flexible are you willing to be as a teacher with rules, even if you have firmly set up rules in your classroom?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is a very good point. I think if a student has to use the bathroom bad enough you should be able to tell and you should let them go to the bathroom regardless of what the rules are not have to "make" a child feel like they have to go in the trash can. I think that rules are set up for a good reason but I do feel like there was special cases.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:19 am
All-star
All-star

Well, I am willing to be flexible but to a certain extent. I want to teach middle school (the only one in our class who actually wants to teach middle school, haha) and hopefully, there won't be any bathroom issues unless a parent or guardian has notified me in advance if a student has a problem. If a student is about to wet their pants and I can tell, then I'll let them go but if they've asked me to go to the bathroom twice in four days in a row, then enough is enough.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that even when you have strict class rules, you have to be willing to bend them every once and a while. It seems to me though that this situation should never happen. Surely, if a child had to go that bad you would notice it and let them go. If it did happen in my classroom, I would have to talk with the child about whether he did it because he really had to or if it was for some sort of attention.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:31 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that there should be a clear set of rules for the classroom that should be followed. But every rule has an exception, no matter how far fetched it may be, there usually will be an incident that will cause you to change your rules, temporarily. As for the peeing incident, i do not mind children going to the bathroom during my class, but as Megan said, i do not want them going twice a day everyday, unless they have an excuse.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree ... Rules should be set at the beginning of the year and should be clearly stated for the rest of the year. I think students should be allowed to go to the bathroom if they really have to go... You never know when a kid might be having a bladder problem.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:09 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]