View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Bad body image vs. "healthy and fit" 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Something was brought up in another one of my classes the other day that relates to a few topics. A group was presenting their project and asked us to get into groups. I was in a group with 2 guys and 2 other girls. The presenters then gave us a magazine and asked us to pick out a page with a good or bad body image. I was under the impression that a bad body image would be a girl with showing a lot of skin, no fat, and a really pretty face. This could confuse young girl into thinking that they cannot have anything wrong with their body. well...the 2 guys at the table said that the image of a girl in a skimpy bikini with no fat on her was a GOOD body image. They said "what's wrong with a girl who eats right and works out? This image looks good to me!" I didn't exactly agree with what they said. I would like to know what others think of this? How can we teach children that a good image isn't always good for our minds?

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is a problem with our society that bothers me quite a bit. The fact that your teacher wanted you to categorize the pictures as either a "bad body image" or a "good body image" could be argued. It depends on what your definitions of "good" and "bad" are. It is unfortunate that young girls are thinking that they need to be skinny and look like models that parade around in Victoria's Secret commercials...but I could also see an almost positive side in that it could help encourage young girls to try and keep themselves healthy by eating right and exercising. This could also apply to young boys...I simply used the Victoria's Secret commercial as an example for females :)

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Let's just say that right now, a lot of guys don't think with the right "head." However, the majority of guys that I have asked opinions from have said that they don't really like stick skinny girls with perfect everything. They believe curves are attractive and most of the time, they really look for a girl they can have a conversation with....so things are looking up...a little.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:18 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]