View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Taking away a child's recess?? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This has been a question that I've had for a while. In my CI 3800 class a few semesters ago, we learned that children shouldn't have their recess taken away because it'll just provoke continued bad behavior. But every time i have been in a classroom since then, teachers are taking away students recesses for late homework, bad behavior, incomplete assignments...etc. Should teachers be allowed to take away the only time that students have to let their energy out?

Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:03 pm
All-star
All-star

That's a really good question. That happened so many times when I went to school (not to me, well, most of the time). I just think that teachers take away recess time because they can't think of anything else to do. But there is always P.E., right? But I don't think taking away recess is going to solve the problem either.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Recess does often seem like the easiest solution, but I wouldn't take it away as a punishment. If a child deserves to have something taken away, it should be related to what they have done wrong. Also, by taking away their recess you are making that child stay with you. This is a punishment for both the child AND the teacher...teachers need a break from their students too! Recess is that outlet for everyone to take a break from being together.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think the childs recess should ever be taken away as punishment. I understand that it is a quick simple solution to the problem, but it is, in my opinion, and ineffective solution. The children is probably acting up because they have a lot of energy, well recess is a great way for the student to get rid of that energy, taking it away will make the class worse.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree that recess should not be taken away as punishment. It is the time during the day that children get a break...I would almost relate it to a teacher's planning period. I, personally, never had my recess taken away while I was in Elementary school, but I did have a similar problem. I was placed into the Academically and Intellectually Gifted (AIG) Program in the 3rd grade (I believe it was...) Our class was actually a separate class, so we, therefore, had to fit it into our daily schedule in some way. How was this done? They cut our lunch short and let us out to recess late. I absolutely HATED being in AIG because it was enforcing that the extra advanced work that I was doing was punishment and I was losing my lunch and recess because of it.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:21 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]