View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Where does our tuition money go? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Something that has really been bothering me lately is how much we pay for tuition and how much we pay in other fees but yet the university still does not even have the money to let teachers make copies. Also one of the things I heard in class on Monday was that they are going to be raising tuition again and that really saddens me...it worries me more and more about the economy as time goes on because it really does not seem to be progressing. Does anyone else have any ideas on this?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I have no idea what they spend money on nowadays but now I'm really worried. Thank goodness for scholarships! I think it's going to take a loooooooonnng time for our economy to get back on track but I try to keep a positive attitude about it.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My favorite part is that teachers don't have enough money to make copies for their classes, but we have a gigantic new cafeteria that (for some reason) is tall enough to house two stories, yet only has one. For some reason I think the University could save a rather large sum of money by only having to heat/cool a normal one-story sized cafeteria rather than a huge high-ceiling building. It also amuses me that they cannot make copies, and yet you can take a walk to the football field and take a gander at the MASSIVE new pressbox that looks like an ark. We wonder where our tuition goes, but never where these "urgently needed" structures come from....

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is frustrating to see tuition being raised again, especially as an out of state student. And yes, it seems ridiculous that new buildings are being built while the copier machines are empty. Maybe the state should be spending less money on buildings, but in reality that isn't going to happen and our school really is in need of some new state of the art facilities. And remember that the press box is not only state funded; some of that money is coming from athletics and the Yosef club. Other buildings, I can't say the same for, but new buildings are a necessity, it's just a shame that it has to be paid for out of our pockets.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:23 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The thing with the buildings, is that they are a separate account. The salary for teachers and that sort of thing is not in the same account as the building funds are. This money is non-transferable, and they are not allowed to move it from accounts. So they will still be building new buildings as long as that account has money.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:49 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Also, some idiot in the gym at the SRC busted the emergency sprinkler system and in turn, it sprayed water all over the gym floor causing the floor to ruin with lumps and bumps. This is going to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars because now they are replacing the entire floor. Where does that money come from?

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Really, budget cuts have been made. We are a state mandated school, and the budget cuts are all over the school. We were talking about it at the athletic banquet because they did not have the finances for dinner like we usually do. There are a lot of people whose salary comes from the school not to mention benefits. If you have taken micro-computer you had to budget a computer lab. You can remember that paper and supplies still cost a good amount of money, when we could just read the computer screen. I know that money goes to athletics, and some people get frustrated by that. As an athlete I feel the need to present a new perspective. After football began winning so many games, more students began applying. Athletics really support the advertising of the school. We do get some finances, but I can tell you that is not where most of tracks money comes from. Coach Weaver has a distance camp every year, and he puts the money earned back into the program. That is somewhere between 40,000 and 80,000 dollars he could just pocket, but he believes in his team. We also raise most of the other portion of our budget. Just a random FYI!

Sat May 02, 2009 2:33 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]