View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Miss California's answer 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A week or so ago in the Miss USA 2009 pageant Miss California Sparked Controversy for Supporting True Marriage:

Celebrity gossip Perez Hilton, one of 13 telecast judges in the competition aired live on NBC, asked Miss California's Carrie Prejean: "Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit? Why or why not?"

Prejean answered: "I think it's great Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country, in my family I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody there, but that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be - between a man and a woman."

The answer clearly irritated Hilton, and drew both cheers and boos from the crowd. Miss North Carolina later won the Miss USA crown, with Miss California as first runner-up.

As the blogosphere reacted to the night's events, it was widely speculated - as both Hilton and Miss California later confirmed - that the answer cost Prejean the Miss USA title.

So my question is what do you think? Did her answer cost her the title?

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'll just say that I give her props for being honest. This question can put some people in very awkward positions and she was put on the spot in front of millions. I do agree that her answer probably did factor in to her not winning the title of Miss America but in the end you have to respect her honesty. [/i]

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that her response did not really answer the question that she was asked. She was asked whether or not she thought the other states should "follow suit", and to support her answer. Instead, she said that she thought it was great that people could "choose" same-sex or opposite marriage. First of all, unless you live in one of the four states that have legalized same-sex marriage, you do not have the choice to pick. You simply cannot get married. Secondly, she did not even justify her answer to that in a cohesive manner. She simply began sharing her personal opinion on marriage and did not support her "off-topic" answer that she gave in the first place...

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:09 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]