View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Monday Septmeber 28/Friday October 2 

Hi Everyone

I have a friend MaryGrey and she is having an event in the student union this week. It starts at 11:45 and last until 2 pm. There will be free food and a really cool presentation. Here is the Facebook Event if you want to check it out. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=lo ... 62&index=1

Courtney

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:05 pm

So I attended this program in the student union that my friend MaryGrey was hosting about her service dog. I went in as a friend that thought I had a pretty good understanding of what she was going to say. I was so wrong. There are so many more complications of having a disability that can be somewhat relieved with a service animal that I ever could imagine. She told us that the biggest problem that she had on the college campus was that people either thought that she was blind or that they wanted to pet her dog. She is not blind, but rather has an issue with her blood pressure that can cause her to pass out without warning. Her service dog can hear the drop in blood pressure and alerts her so that she can lie down before she passes out. Also, it is very important that people not touch her dog when he is wearing his harness. When he has his harness on he is working and should not be distracted. Learning so much from her when I thought I already knew a lot made me think about my students. For some of them I might get an IDP, but my students will have needs beyond those documented and I really need to pay special attention to all of my students to help them the best way that I know how.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]