View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Beauty Mark 

I attended the Film showing and Discussion of Beauty Mark: Body Image and the Race for Perfection on Thursday, September 24th. This presentation focused on the idea of self-concept and how to emerge from difficult circumstances/decisions as a better person. The Executive Producer of the Film, Diane Israel, came and spoke after the viewing. As a psychologist, Israel has been bombarded with different struggles of women and realized it would be helpful to create a documentary-type film in educating the public in the struggle. The creation of this film made her realize the need for her story to be laid out, so that others may learn through her experience.

Beauty Mark takes something that many people talk about around the teen years and makes it an understandable reality. The struggles of self-esteem and self-acceptance are real and they must been seen as such for they are apparent in teenagers and people all over. As I watched the movie, I realized how apparent the struggles like binge eating, over exertion (exercise), personal emotions, sexual identity, self acceptance, and a myriad of other struggles are. Though I know about them and have experienced some myself or with my friends, it is easy to simply gloss over the actual problems or treat the person like he or she has flu. But as a teacher, I need to be willing to meet the students at their point of need despite how I feel about their particular struggle.

After leaving the film, I feel more aware of the need for improved self esteem and the encouragement to achieve things that bring an individual joy. Though I may not fully agree with certain aspects of counseling or approaching certain situations, those biases are not placed at the forefront allowing room for the issues that make a bigger difference in the lives of my future students.

If anyone would like to learn more about what ASU and other organizations are doing to promote things like Beauty Mark visit www.beautymarkmovie.com or www.bodyimagehealth.com. Also in Boone October has been proclaimed as “A Month to Celebrate Youâ€

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:37 pm

I also attended the showing of Beauty Mark on September 24th.

My biggest surprise was the difference in what I expected the film to be and what it actually turned out to be. I expected a more polished documentary on how the world perceives beauty today and how it effects our lives. What I got instead, was an almost autobiographical account of a woman's life with poor body image. While there were some other stories involved, they were not delved into nearly as deep. The spin on the movie was also athletic, which, again, surprised me, since I feel like most people with poor body image aren't athletes. My connection with the film was also stunted in that it focused primarily on females. While some of the stories were about men, I felt they primarily just skimmed over the issue. Overall, I understand the message she is trying to bring across, but I just don't see how it will connect easily with a lot of people because the focus is so narrow. Constantly in her film I kept feeling like an exception within an exception when I tried to put myself in the shoes of someone with an eating disorder.

Conclusively, while Beauty Mark might help and inspire some, I feel it really fell flat. Nothing in the documentary really ever connected with me due to its lack of diverse issues and emphasis on one person's story. I also felt very excluded as a male since not only was the focus of the film female, but almost the whole audience was female, and even the handouts were obviously geared toward women. Had I gone to the film as a first step in branching out for help, I would most assuredly have felt even more lost and confused on leaving than upon entering.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:34 pm
Site Admin

To both of you, I am really glad you went. To Clayton: Your points are great ones. Do you know men with some similar issues about body image? (We know they exist, right?)

There are differences and similarities in how men and women experience pressure around body image. Have you considered any of the differences, either of you, or anyone else? How about similarities?

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]